second season of neck bobbing and crop extension

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fyrbyrd, Dec 13, 2012.

1. fyrbyrd

fyrbyrd New Egg

May 28, 2012
    This 1 1/2 yr old wyandotte has an enlarged crop, and stretches her neck and bobbs her head, this was a reoccurring symptom for this bird. She also is lethargic and off her feed, and her comb was pale. After giving her some "glyconutrients" for people and a vinegar water solution, and isolating her, as I did before, she is now responding. She was also off laying for some time. Has anyone encountered this too? Or know what causes it?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    is your crop soft and squishy or hard? If it is soft it is a bacteria imbalance and you should start giving your yogurt at least once a week to help promote healthy bacteria. If it is hard then she has an impaction, usually caused from eating long grass or hay or anything that can block or tangle. If it is a lovely combo of soft with a hard soft it is likely an impaction that has started to rot.

3. Gittx

Gittx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Edom, Texas
    I have a rooster that I've been treating for the same symptoms for a couple of weeks now. As far as I can tell, it's sour crop, and there are many suggestions for curing it on BYC. I have tried generic athletic foot cream, monistat cream, apple cider vinegar, and yogurt without a cure, although he does do better right after treatment. I bring him inside during the cold snaps, and have ordered a sour crop medication on line. I'll post after I follow the directions on the medication to let you know if it works or not. Put sour crop in the search engine and you will see lots and lots of comments about the cause and cure. Good luck!

4. fyrbyrd

fyrbyrd New Egg

May 28, 2012
    Dear "ChickensrDinos" Thank you so much for such a quick response!! The crop, feels soft and not lumpy or hard. I hadn't thought of yogurt, but it makes so much sense!! Just as the ACV does. Yes she recovered once before but was never completely up to her full potential, as far as laying goes.
    Also Thanks to "Gittx" for your swift response as well, and I will be watching for your followup with the medication. I hadn't thought of roosters getting this ailment........learn every day don't we? What a great site!!

5. Gittx

Gittx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Edom, Texas
    Well, I got the medication in the mail, but as I started preparing to give it too him, I noticed a crusty spot on this chest, and as I evaluated his crop, I realized it was better than it has been in a long time. He can reach down and peck at the crusty spot, so at first I feared he had pecked himself there, trying to get it to feel better. Then I realized that it was probably some vomit that had been spilled there. I didn't want to upset him by scrapping it off at this time, so I just put him back in the coop. (yep, learning about chickens seems to be a lifetime project)
    Also, if the medication I gave him last cured him, it was the generic (Walmart brand) Monistat. He would even eat it off my finger (he's a very sweet rooster) And, now a little about the capsules I ordered. Right after ordering them, I had to send this e-mail to the company:

"When I received the Crop Bound Capsules, I realized they didn't come with all the directions I will need. How long do I give them, One day, One week, until gone? What should I look for, to tell if they are working? How do they work? What possible contraindication or side effects should I watch for? I would appreciate as much information about the medication as possible.

Thank You"
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Here's the reply I received:

Give the Capsules for at least 5 days. They work by breaking down what ever material is blocking the Digestive System. You will know that they are working as the Impacting material will start to move through the Digestive System and the Crop will empty. Should not be any side effects. Make sure that the bird is properly Hydrated.

We will update the label to reflect the above information.

Keep me posted as to your progress or lack thereof and I will help you with this problem.

Keep em Healthy,

Doc
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    This is their information should you be interested in getting some: The were about $7 and I would guess there's about 30 of them....I didn't count. I hope this helps your lady.

First State Vet Supply

P.O. Box 864
    Salisbury, Maryland 21803
    United States
    Phone: (410) 546-6137
    http://www.FirstStateVetSupply.com/
    Email:
    [email protected]

:

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Another "two birds w/ one post" classic ...

Candida Albicans ... had to look it up, to be sure of the spelling. That's the fungus you're almost certainly dealing w/ when you've got sour crop (a.k.a. thrush, chronic mycosis ~'-)

Here's your two-step cure, w/ the first being an epsom salt flush, followed by a treatment w/ a solution of copper sulfate.

Note that, in order to *completely* be done w/ the chronic conditions, you should fumigate, and be certain there's no fungi forming in your food supplies, containers, hay, etc. 'cause that's usually how it starts, and how it continues to return.

Anyhow ... here ya go, folks:

*** STEP ONE of TWO ***

Epsom Salt Solution

1 lb Epsom Salt per 15 lb feed
    -or-
    1 lb Epsom Salt per 5 gallons water for 1 day

Give the epson salt feed mixture as the sole feed source for a one day period. This feed can be used only if the birds are eating. If the birds are not eating, use the water solution. If the birds are unable to eat or drink by themselves, use individual treatment with:

1 teaspoon of Epsom Salt in 1 fl oz water

Place the solution in the crop of the affected bird. This same amount of solution will treat 5-8 quail or one chicken.

*** STEP TWO of TWO ***

COPPER SULFATE SOLUTION

Use this solution as a treatment for mycosis (mold infection) in the crop. An alternate name for the condition is "Thrush." Use the solution as a "follow-up" treatment after flushing with epsom salt solution--refer to the section for LAXATIVE SOLUTIONS.

Dissolve .5 lb copper sulfate and .5 cup vinegar into 1 gallon of water for a "stock" solution. Dispense stock solution at the rate of 1 oz per gallon for the final drinking solution.

An alternate method of preparing the solution is:

dissolve 1 oz copper sulfate and 1 tablespoon of vinegar into 15 gallons water.

Use either solution as the sole water source during the course of the disease outbreak. Copper sulfate is often referred to as "bluestone".

7. shell3

shell3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Hertfordshire England
    hi you sound like you know your stuff! wonder if you can offer me some advice.
    My rir had sour crop couple months ago i gave canesten peseries which seemed to work plus i got some nystatin from the vet and she recovered ever since her crop has been enlarged and i have given her the nystatin a couple more times since then , it seems to keep her from getting worse and has kept her happy and lively but the crop still feels elarged. however two days ago the crop filled with fluid again and the comb has gone from bright red to very dull colour and dry. she is bobbing her head to the sides too , i gave nystatin just once but was not convinced this is the way to go for a cure so i took her to a vet who was pretty useless and try to insert a tube down her throat to clear the fluid but she was unsuccessful at getting the tube in and i stopped her there as i had no confidence in her i then emptyed the crop by tipping her and clear fluid came out that had not much of a smell. when she had sour crop it really smelt bad and was a brown/grey colour so now i dont think its an infection. i asked the vet for som epsom salts but she had nonoe she gave me some liquid parafin which should do the same thing and ive given her that tonight . she seems happier after the crop emptying but is still bobbing her head to the sides, vet said she couldnt feel a blockage but still could be the problem. im hoping the crop is back to normal after the parrafin and that its a small blockage that will clear but what do you think? could it be something else? if the parafin does not work should i try the epsom salt and copper thing? how long should i do it after the parafin? or should i just go straight for the copper sulphate? or shall i try to get some crop unblock tablets?
    sorry for the mass of questions! i just love her so much and want to make her better desperatley!
    thank you

8. shell3

May 14, 2012
    Hertfordshire England
    sorry forgot to say her crop sounds very gurgly. x

9. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    First? If you're dealin' w/ a vet that can't even put a tube into the crop, then you're certainly wastin' your time/money ... do your research, and learn to care for 'em yourself. That's the only sensible option, if you're gonna keep poultry.

Second? Although I do understand how lovable these lil' critters can be, they are temporary and fragile by their very design -- there's only so much you can do for any individual bird, so ... love the concept; that you're keepin' birds, rather than singling any of 'em out.

I've no experience w/ using parrafin internally, but ... epsom salts are among the things you should *never* buy from a vet. They charge extremely high prices for medicines/supplies, and pretty much any drug or grocery store has espom salts for a buck or two.
    The treatment laid out above is the only one I'd suggest, for specifically this problem. It is the only one I've seen that works, and have seen it work consistently. And, as an added bonus? It's a dirt cheap way to treat.

Just as soon as this is controlled, I'd worm your bird(s) w/ fenbendazole, at the rate of 20 mg/kg of body weight, so as to be sure she's not infested w/ gapeworms, as this will eliminate all the different types of worms that chickens get (except tapeworms, which are more rare, and could be easily seen w/in the droppings if present).

10. shell3

May 14, 2012
    Hertfordshire England
    thank you for the advice, your right that vets are not the way to go! i knew it anyway but got desperate! wont be taking that route again im gonna get some eppsom salts and treat myself. im afraid my chickens are pets thou and i love them. thats that. i took them as rescue chicks from my sons school to stop them being returned to a farm, ive never had chickens before and have spent a fortune on housing them ect in order to give them a better life, its now my duty as i see it to keep them happy and healthy and ill do whatever it takes. ill take the advice to worm them ,thanks. i am extremely attached to all my animals(cats dog) and give them all individual care to the best of my ability thou i do only have three chickens! and the other two have had no health issues. i just want her better! they are loveable as you say and i love having them but if i cant succeed in keeping three healthy then i dont think id take on anymore. the thought is sad therefore i must crack this issue with the crop! lol anyway checked her this morning crop has no fluid in it but was solid with food so dont know if its emptied, didnt want to withhold food last night as that would have been two nights in a row so will take the food out last thing tonight and see if its empty in the morning, fingers crossed. ive found that the best advice for caring for chickens is found on this site, id rather ask someone here than a vet. just wish i had someone with as much knowledge living near me! so i could call you over and say "look at that, what do you think?" id love to have someone just feel her! but never mind i will follow advice given and report back how shes doing .
    thank you x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by