Second Sexing on Muscovy Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, May 20, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

With my last batch I decided to try to learn how to vent Sex the ducklings. I was pretty unsure of myself so I ended up keeping 14 ducklings from the last batch & Six from the earlier batch. They are all old enough or just about old enough to visually tell males from females, so here's my results from the "second" sexing...(I will update after they are feathered in & I absolutely know!)

Last Batch: 14 ducklings, about 2 weeks old.
    2 Definite Males
    12 'Females'
    (plus a goose pair)

First Batch: 6 ducklings, 3-4 weeks old.
    1 Definite Male
    5 Definite Females!

I'm a little sad seeing any boys but I knew it was going to happen. I will eventualy find them new homes but i'm too much of a softie to rehome them right now, they're all so attached to eachother and seem so needy right now..messy little buggers, lol.

2. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    wana come try mine? lol. i am scared mine is a drake cuz i have rotten luck. but i'm stil hoping it's a girl so i can keep her cuz she's going to be SOOOOO pretty [​IMG] and today we are getting 2 mallards. they are my dad's ducks.. yeah right we'll see who takes care of them. lol. i want a pair but my luck they will be both drakes, and my dad's luck they will be both girls (he likes the males)

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Well I will keep my fingers crossed for you & Alicia(sp?), she will be really pretty when she feathers in especially! she's such a little cutie already! [​IMG]

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Well, that's pretty darn good if you ask me!

So, you vent sexed them and kept all the ducklings that you sexed as females right? And you ended up with 3 drakes out of 20 ducklings? On your first and second times vent sexing? [​IMG]

That's AWESOME. That works out to 85% accuracy - and even the pros only guarantee vent sexing to be 90% accurate. [​IMG]

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, if I am reading that correctly- that is great! You almost can't beat that. I have raised ducks for 25+ years and I can't vent sex young ducklings to save my life. LOL. I guess we all have things we are good at and not so good at. At least, I try to tell myself that. LOL

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The boy in the older bunch already had feet that were a little bigger than the rest when i sexed them but he's a Blue Fawn and i was really hoping it would be a big girl [​IMG] lol, he shouldn't be too hard to find a home for though, i hope! ([​IMG] )

I also checked a bunch of others but i kept all the ones that I liked that looked like girls when i vent sexed them. I am just really happy there's actually lots of girls! it would have sucked if i ended up with only 3 girls, lol

7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:lol thank you. she is soo sweet. she has some little friends now. i just picked up 2 mallard ducklings. she was the smallest lol and the cutest. i'm hoping she's a girl [​IMG] i want her to stay small, but i want to see how pretty she will be when she is a grown up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by