1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Second sick Buff Orphington - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beachnutx6, Jan 31, 2017.

1. beachnutx6

beachnutx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    I have 12 chickens and 2 of them are buff orphingtons. I had one die about 4 weeks ago and now my second one is acting the same way.
    I was actually out of town the first time and who was watching them noticed she was just laying in a corner. When I finally got to her , her rear end had tons of poop packed in her feathers. I put her in a tub and cleaned her up. It seemed very hard and swollen in the vent area and I really could not do an exam. She drank a little, and I put her in a warm bath again that night, but she would not stand so I put her in a warm cage in the garage and she died that night. Now my second one is acting the same way. I was able to exam her and could not feel an egg, but it was swollen and hard in the back end. Her comb is looking pretty bad, but they usually do in the winter with the cold. She was active and fine yesterday. I'm really new at this, so who knows if I'm doing this right. I tried feeding her and giving her water, but no interest. She's in the warm crate in the garage. Any ideas??
    Thank you!

2. Compton Farm

Compton Farm Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    Have they been treated for coccidiosis?

3. beachnutx6

beachnutx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    When I bought them they were vaccinated (this was about 3 years ago) - I don't remember what the vaccines were. I just live on 5 acres with no other animals but our dog. I'm not on a farm.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Three years is actually kind of old for hatchery sourced birds. Could be natural causes, not illness.

5. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    Normally when you buy them from hatchery they are vaccinated, but I don't think they have a vaccine for that. You have to feed them medicated feed or they have some coccidiosis medication. You can purchase at your local feed store.

6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Keeping her isolated is a good idea.I would put poultry vitamins in her water and would also give her eggs and tuna often.Keep her in a quiet/dark/warm environment.If she inst drinking provide water with a 3cc syringe or a eye dropper orally.Keeping her hydrated is key to her survival.How does her crop feel?Is her abdomen swollen?Is her breast bone sharp?Keep us updated

7. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    If her crop seems full, you may have to massage it, she may be blocked!

8. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Just because a crop is full doesn't mean its impacted it only becomes a problem when its full in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by