Gayle-the-Australorp

Chirping
12 Years
Jul 6, 2007
Henderson, NV
Ok... so last year I tried to incubate an egg from Trader Joe's and failed.

Anyway, I decided to try again...

I have a heating pad set up in a plastic shoe box with a container of water as a way to incubate the egg.

I've read about someone that used a heating pad before but one thing though, I'm apprehensive about leaving the heating pad running when I'm not at home. Any alternatives I can use to keep the egg warm while I'm gone?

At this point, I'm just incubating the egg to see if anything develops. I just started today and it's been on the heating pad for almost 2 hours, not directly, I do have it sitting on some cotton gloves I'm not using.

I really wouldn't recommend a heating pad. A small lamp would probably do just as well. Look up some of the homemade incubators here, you might get more ideas that might work for you.
Oh, also, most heating pads have auto shut off features, after a certain number of hours, so it could turn off without you knowing it.
Air circulation, temp control, and humidity are big factors in proper embryo growth. Anything is possible, but a controlled environment works best. Small styrofoam cooler from the dollar store, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks, this one doesn't have a shut off feature. I have read about other people on this site who had tried a heating pad before and it worked fine but I suppose that could be a case by case basis.

I'm only on day 1 as of today and looking at the candling photos I've checked online, it seems to be similar to those. Yesterday the egg was totally clear now the inside is slowly getting darker. Right now I'm just seeing if anything develops at all.

Back
Top Bottom