Second Time Hatching — shipped & backyard eggs

Pics

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
Figured I’d make another thread since the first one seemed like it had good reception and I’m still new to this. So, I’m using eggs from 3 different sources and using two different incubators. My NR 360 incubator — “Hatch Batch” — and my cousin’s old styrofoam still air incubator he last used in 2006...lol. As for the egg sources, i just received shipped eggs that I purchased from Meyer’s. I ordered 4 partridge cochin and 4 speckled sussex hatching eggs, but they discontinued the speckled sussex eggs and never got ahold of me let me knows this ( by the sounds of it, they didn’t tell anyone ) until the eggs were ready to ship out. So!! I got my 4 partridge cochin eggs and 4 assorted eggs. They were:
  • Light brown leghorn. Kind of wish I didn’t get that, because, while I like my 4 white leghorn pullets, I prefer being able to pick up or pet my chickens without them acting like it’s their last moments on earth. Also, I ordered a light brown leghorn pullet from them that I’m picking up in April
  • Black Australop. Yeah, not too happy about this one. I have two BA roosters and a hen already in my flock, so I could’ve just hatched out eggs from her if I wanted more BAs. Oh well.
  • Welsummer. Definitely excited about this one. I don’t have any welsummers and I do think they’re pretty. I just hope it doesn’t end up being a cockerel
  • Oliver Egger. Happy about this one too, I just hope it doesn’t end up being barred. I have too many barred chickens.
I’m using eggs from my own flock and the other source is eggs from someone my cousin knows. He’s giving me a dozen of eggs from his flock for free. His rooster is a BR and his hens are blue Orpingtons, BRs and ‘ameraucanas’ ( pretty sure they’re just EEs. he got them from mcmurry hatchery ). Definitely interested in what they look like.

I already have Hatch Batch running with eggs from my flock in it because I’m impatient. All I’m waiting for now is for the shipped eggs to settle and to get the dozen of eggs from my cousin’s friend.

Link to my first thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/first-time-hatching-incubator-edition.1436940/

Attachments

• 063374A8-B99F-4DB3-A7DF-768D2FAB646E.jpeg
    063374A8-B99F-4DB3-A7DF-768D2FAB646E.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 35
So maybe my phone had a brain fart but every time I used the link from your first thread to come here, it just took me back to the beginning of that thread. I just searched you up and found this one. Just thought you might want to know.

So maybe my phone had a brain fart but every time I used the link from your first thread to come here, it just took me back to the beginning of that thread. I just searched you up and found this one. Just thought you might want to know.
lol....yeah aart pointed out that i used the wrong link. i linked my old thread ON my old thread instead of using the new one

Here’s the eggs from the other guy. Let’s call him local dude. Definitely some pretty blue eggs in there but the lighting in my room doesn’t do then justice. I think local dude managed to get his blue orpington eggs in there but there’s definitely more breeds than I thought he had. There’s a white egg and some darker brown eggs. Also, I got more eggs than I thought I was getting lol

Attachments

• DB952CCA-E52C-40AC-BEF2-742F556AAEDD.jpeg
    DB952CCA-E52C-40AC-BEF2-742F556AAEDD.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 18
There’s 64 eggs in total. Ideally, I’ll have 64 peepers in 21 days but that’s not likely. Local dude’s eggs are marked and the shipped eggs are stamped, so I know which eggs came from where. Hopefully I get a good hatch rate on my cochins...

Attachments

• 4854CFCC-4FBB-4AB9-88C7-42A6779D4329.jpeg
    4854CFCC-4FBB-4AB9-88C7-42A6779D4329.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 18
Candled all of the eggs in Hatch Batch. Day 3 for them and they all looked to be alive. However, #4 & #6 I couldn’t see if they were fertile or not. They were dark shelled eggs, so I’ll candle again on day 10.

You seem very confident. I wish I had that. My humidity was down this morning and being day 7 I decided to candle one. It was a large dark spot like seeing a yolk inside. No veins. My wife said put it back and quit worrying.

Back
Top Bottom