Second time Lucky :)

barry549

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Ayr, Scotland
hello everyone

im here to tell you that my second time hatching using the broody hen has been a sucess as my black silkie (treacle) has been sitting on 7 eggs for 25 days the first time and 7 eggs on the second try taking 23 days, she has been an amazingly dedicated mother and now that she has 2 hatched so far it is an sensational feeling :)

the first time she tried to hatch eggs they all died early as her health wasnt up to scratch so i decided that a nice bath and cleaning bedding for her to sit on with her favourite treats. so i gave her two days of this TLC and she decided to resit, so i wished her good luck

half way through my second hatch i lost my favourite hen which was a silkie buff due to a serious vent prolapse which she had just recovered from a fortnight before and i was at work and college it didnt help her so i went home one night to give her a little pet and tell her shell be ok and she sat on my knee and peck my nose then she jumped off and lay down:( Next day at 6am i opened the coop up and there she was :( dead the worst feeling i ever had ran through me as she was my everything i rared her :(

So Treacle is sitting on 2 leghorn and 2 silkie buff( my beloved ) and 3 sussex eggs.
which so far one silkie and 1 sussex has hatch both fit and healthy :)
my little silkie chick will be getting named after her mother who died Pepper.

thanks for reading this post

RIP Mrs Pepperpot :(

Wishing you good luck with the remainder of this brood.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom