Second Time's the Charm!

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
After a complete bomb on my first hatching attempt (0 out of 36 hatched), the second time around has been much better. I put the eggs in the bator at 8:30pm three weeks ago Wednesday. At 8:45pm this past Wednesday, the first peep out of 16 eggs was free from its shell. As of this morning, there were 9 chicks running around in the bator, 1 w/ the top off the shell, and 3 more pipping. So far I have 4 of my RIR's and 6 Buckeyes. It feels a lot better to have some hatch instead of spending 21 days anticipating it and then nothing happens.

I will post pics when I move them to the brooder Saturday. The Buckeye chicks are really cute.

Quote:
Well yea, good bloodlines don't ya know!!
wink.png

congrats!

my first try hasn't been great.
3 out 38 looking good on day 9
tossed the 35 others, no development at all.

I had temp. go up to 104 for two hours on the second day, that may have been the problem.

I'm ready to try again!
smile.png

Now there are 7 Buckeyes and 5 RIR. The last one that pipped hasn't done anything since early yesterday. I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon. If it hasn't done anything by then, I'm going to move all the chicks to the brooder. I'm very pleased with my first "hatch".

On the 25th I have 14 Welsummer eggs and 10 more Buckeyes due. Then I get to have all this fun again.

Thanks. The last one has zipped the shell all the way around, but only about 2/3 away around with the membrane. If it doesn't get out tonight, I'm not sure what to do. The first ones hatched Wednesday night. By tomorrow night it will be three days. The last one will not be dry enough for me to open the bator and get the others out.

Any suggestions?

I don't have a problem helping the chicks out a bit, give them until morning, if the piped one isn't progressing chip some of the shell away, mama hen would do the same. One issue I have had is the membrane dries out if exposed to air dryer then 50% humidity for a prolonged period, I have had chicks dry out and have issues punching through the membrane, chip the shell away, if the membrane appears to be sticking to the chick it is too dry, help the chick out a bit tearing through the membrane, worst case you lose the chick.

You can open the 'bator to grab the dry chicks just don't keep the lid off too long.

Back
Top Bottom