1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Secondary Brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by slystr, Mar 19, 2007.

1. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Will this work as a brooder for chicks 3-5 weeks old Untill I can move them outside? I have 10 babies right now. I'm trying not to spend too much money on this so I can put that money into the coop. There is a screen on top of storage cubes hinged together with zip ties, a underbed storage tub all on a table. I thought that having the thing raised would keep drafts from under the garage doors away. Does this look OK? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Slystr, I think the peeps could do without the inside storage container. Looks like they would jump out of it and not be able to get back in. The squares look too large that the ckicks might get caught in them or possibly get through, it's hard to tell for sure.

I would place cardboard around the outside and secure to the sides with the zip ties by poking a hole in the cardboard wherever you need to make it secured to the sides with no gaps. It would cover the squares and stop any drafts. Just a thought.

Just add pine shavings to the bottom for bedding.

bigzio

3. slystr

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Thanks for the suggestions bigzio. I don't like this set up and I am going to change it. I have about a week I guess to come up with something. Thanks again!

the holes on the grids are 1.5" square. Shouldn't that be small enough for 3 week old chicks?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  4. bigzio

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    slystr, If you measure the holes corner to corner I think it will be like 2". If the chick gets its head and one wing through, it might get caught. However if in deed the chicks are large enough it won't be a problem.Still could have the draft problem though.

bigzio

5. slystr

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Might this be better?
    [​IMG]

6. ChickenMommy

ChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    North East Texas
    I used 2 swimming pools,one with the bottum cut out of it and chicken wire on top with a chicken wire door. and then inverted on top of the other and bolted together.
    Here's a picture of it.
    [​IMG]

7. ChickenMommy

ChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    North East Texas
    or you can use a big tub and cut hole in the lid and chicken wire in the cut out hole, i used this until the chicks got bigger then we swtiched to the swimming pool.
    [​IMG]

8. slystr

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    that's a great idea!

9. bigzio

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    slystr, I like the double pool idea ingenious!

The 1.5" squares still scare me. It's amazing how the peeps can get in trouble with that size opening, if you use your plan.

bigzio

10. slystr

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I think I'll not use the grids and make a 2 pool brooder. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by