Secondary characteristics?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Balloonjuice, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Songster

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    I received a shipment a month ago today (arrived 12/3/14) of straight run RIRs. By now they are all sporting most of their feathers. But they are still peeping. It seems that there are some characteristics that go together.

One Type: larger (proto) comb, shorter tail feathers, more aggressive at the feeder
    Other Type: smaller (proto) comb, longer tail feathers, less aggressive at the feeder

These characteristics are consistent, i.e. a chick that has one has all three. My questions are these: 1) Are these reliable predictors of sex and 2) which is which? I'm assuming the more aggressive feeding would be the males, but want some confirmation if I'm not on a "wild goose" chase here.

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Emm...do you have any pics to share of each type??? Just for re-assurance!!!

3. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Songster

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX

Not at present but I can take one of each (or try to). I've uploaded photos before so I think I can do it. I'll try to get at that today. Thanks.

4. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Okay!! Aweosme~!!!! Well im waiting for some pics then!! I think it would be easier to tell with pic!!!

5. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Songster

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I tried to position each of them in approximately the same place on the pail (I use it to hold their crumbles). My phone-cam may not be exactly positioned the same way however. Still you should be able to see that the lower pic the chick has a longer tail feather in relation to its overall body length.
    Does that help?

I should add that approximately half the new arrivals are of each feathering arrangement, which is what led me to the (correct?) conclusion that it may be a sexing tool.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  6. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Okay!!!Well to me the bottom ones look more like hens!!! I dont know what others think thoigh!!! Most of my roo's start with shorst tails and the hens keep the long!! But i BM so i dont know wiht RIRS!!!

7. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Songster

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    Thanks. That's rather what I thought (bottom pic being pullet). The behavior seems a bit more roo-like with the short-tail RIRs also.

So, thanks again for the help. Wanted confirmation and seems I have it. [​IMG]

8. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Aweosme!! Glad ure happy!! Hope my info was right though[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by