1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Secondary characteristics?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Balloonjuice, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    I received a shipment a month ago today (arrived 12/3/14) of straight run RIRs. By now they are all sporting most of their feathers. But they are still peeping. It seems that there are some characteristics that go together.

One Type: larger (proto) comb, shorter tail feathers, more aggressive at the feeder
    Other Type: smaller (proto) comb, longer tail feathers, less aggressive at the feeder

These characteristics are consistent, i.e. a chick that has one has all three. My questions are these: 1) Are these reliable predictors of sex and 2) which is which? I'm assuming the more aggressive feeding would be the males, but want some confirmation if I'm not on a "wild goose" chase here.

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Emm...do you have any pics to share of each type??? Just for re-assurance!!!

3. Balloonjuice

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX

Not at present but I can take one of each (or try to). I've uploaded photos before so I think I can do it. I'll try to get at that today. Thanks.

4. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Okay!! Aweosme~!!!! Well im waiting for some pics then!! I think it would be easier to tell with pic!!!

5. Balloonjuice

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I tried to position each of them in approximately the same place on the pail (I use it to hold their crumbles). My phone-cam may not be exactly positioned the same way however. Still you should be able to see that the lower pic the chick has a longer tail feather in relation to its overall body length.
    Does that help?

I should add that approximately half the new arrivals are of each feathering arrangement, which is what led me to the (correct?) conclusion that it may be a sexing tool.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  6. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Okay!!!Well to me the bottom ones look more like hens!!! I dont know what others think thoigh!!! Most of my roo's start with shorst tails and the hens keep the long!! But i BM so i dont know wiht RIRS!!!

7. Balloonjuice

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    Thanks. That's rather what I thought (bottom pic being pullet). The behavior seems a bit more roo-like with the short-tail RIRs also.

So, thanks again for the help. Wanted confirmation and seems I have it. [​IMG]

8. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Aweosme!! Glad ure happy!! Hope my info was right though[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by