Secret club of male ducks only!

Cymbaline: Has yours already molted? He looks so handsome! Mine in the pic hasn't had his curl feathers and has not gone through his first molt...
Thank you :) I think he is gorgeous. I'm guessing they go in and out of breeding plumage like mallards do, in which case he has molted; it seemed like it happened very quickly, like one day he was just getting his "big duck" feathers and then the next he was molting into that pretty grey head. I've seen a ton more light-colored feathers around the past week or so though, so either he's not stopping at the grey head or he's molting again...not sure. I've only ever had mallards up until this spring, when I got these two lovelies.

Mine generally runs from me if I get within 6-8 feet of him, but once I catch him he's fine (as are most of the other ducks). Bullwinkle (one of my mallard drakes) is pretty friendly - he and all the girls will take lettuce/greens from my hand if I stand still. My little runner girl is by far the most tame duck I've ever had though. She will often just stand there while I walk over and pick her up, and doesn't mind being held, even by the neighbor girl (who thinks that is the coolest thing ever, lol), I still need to come up with names for her and the buff boy...I am terrible at naming critters. *blushes*
I don't know how you get them to calm down and let you around them...I'm guessing it involves lots of peas and other treats, lol.

This is our silver Ancona boy, Hulk. He's got such a funny, bumbling personality that the name really doesn't fit, but my son gave him the name as a tiny yellow duckling.

This is our black and white Ancona drake, Shiner. He is pretty bold and intelligent, and probably my favorite of all the ducks because of his adventurous personality.

Wanted to add this picture of the boys together because you can see a little bit of Shiner's iridescent sheen on his wings.

Too cute!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom