1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Secret Santa stinks!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MuranoFarms, Dec 23, 2009.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I took part in 3 secret Santa gift exchanges this year. The first one was an online community. We only joined if we wanted, the item amount was $25. Names were distributed, I spent $27 plus $12 shipping. I received my gift and an apology letter that money and time were tight for her this year .....so she's sorry she didn't spend the $25, (looked like she spent about $10) I shrugged it off.

I went to my InLaws last weekend and we have a grab bag gift exchange with $25 being the target amount to spend. I spent $28....most everyone went a few bucks over. I ended up "winning" a gift of about $6 in dollar store candy. At which point DH's cousin comes over and says "sorry my gift is so crappy, we're broke this year" Keep in mind....participation is by choice and many of the cousins choose not to participate every year!

My son has a $5 gift exchange at school. Can you guess how this went? I spent the $5, he gets a bag of toy army men with the $2 tag still on them [​IMG] His teacher sent a note home saying "anybody that cannot participate for any reason let me know...we can provide a gift for your child" I was one of the parents who offered extra gifts and was told they didn't need them.

I'm pretty fed up with the whole thing this year! I'm trying not to lose my Christmas spirit but the whole thing is just so unfair.

[​IMG]
    ok...vent over

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dang it, I don't mean to laugh, but you really did bomb out this year for sure!! I love SS's, and wish that you had as good results as I always have. I did the Secret Santa when I worked at school, and it was just wonderful the things that people would come up with. I got the Ag teacher one year, and he was such an adorable guy that I just knocked myself out. $20 was the target amount, but adding in the little daily gifts it usually came to about $25. I took chamo material, hot glued it to a 6 pack of Coors, his favorite beer and smuggled it into him (school you know!) and then got him a sub. to an Illinois Conservation/hunting magazine . . .he was tickled to pieces and I always put down that I loved Xmas CD's and angels and people just outdid themselves for my gift . . .maybe they need to lower the price and that way maybe you will get a nice surprise next year! I know its in the giving that we are suppose to think of, but it still stinks to get the dirty end of the stick!!! For the candy you got, they could have gotten you a nice smelling candle at Rural King for $6.

3. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know what you mean. My husband's company Christmas Party always has you bring a gift ($25 average) for a dirty Santa Exchange or what ever they call it. Lot's of times I swear they bring stuff they got the previous year. Any way, we always try to buy a nice gift and take lots of care to pick out something special and every year we get absoulute crap!!!!!

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    That can be frustrating, but surely you take solace in knowing you took the high road and did the right thing. [​IMG]

5. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Last year my MIL got my name, she bought me kids plastic plates and really nasty fruit tea when all I wanted was green tea, she buys the kids used toys and forgets about my DD 4 they do have money they are just cheap. My kids used to go to a christmas party where people would donate gifts to the kids, it was so unfair! Some kids would get really expensive gifts while others dollar store gifts it left many kids crying.

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I completely understand your feelings and have been in those shoes before. I now try to give with the idea that I dont have to get anything at all back...sort of psyching myself out about getting shafted. It works most of the time... lol.

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I hate that "Secrect Santa" stuff too! I've only have had that kinda stuff happen to me too. I did it in High School and the girl who got my name didn't give anything for the the first 3 weeks. [​IMG] You were supposed to give something at least once a week. I was crying and so upset that my teacher who set up the whole thing had to go back and find out who got my name and talk to the girl. She of course gave a lousy excuse and did eventually give a teddy bear. My friends all felt bad and started giving me "secret santa" gifts to me. The thing that was the kicker....the girl's parents' own a bodyshop in town and her mother was the head of the materity ward of our Hospital. [​IMG]

Then I did "Secret Sisters" for our church for a year. Never recieved a thing ALL YEAR until Christmas. I was upset and swore to not do it again. And here it was my pastor who had my name. [​IMG] I kinda felt bad, but not even a note all year just mentioning she was praying for me. [​IMG] She's our pastor.....she better have been praying for me.

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I haven't had an opportunity to participate in Secret Santa exchanges for several years now and I'm glad! It did seem like we were always disappointed.

9. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    There is a reason for everything. Just think of how much joy you may have brought to those families who were tight on money....
    The feeling of doing something great for someone who cant do it for themselves, is what makes Christmas great.

That being said, you getting the short end of the stick 3 times is NOT fair.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    From someone who once ended up with an Elmer Fudd Chia Head...I feel your pain!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by