Secret to hatching Marans

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marymac, Nov 1, 2010.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have tried to hatch Copper Marans eggs 4 times now. I have a silky sitting on 3 BLC marans eggs now for 22 days and there is no sign of hatching yet. She is so determined to hatch these and is a real good sitter. My previous attempts have been in an incubator twice and under broodies and I have never hatched a Marans yet. Are they too hard to hatch? How do the rest of you get them to hatch? I would so like to have a few BCM but this buying them and not getting any is getting pretty expensive. What is the secret?

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Are you trying to hatch shipped eggs? What kind of bator do you have?

3. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Need to know more about the eggs. I would say shipped eggs or fertility.

4. marymac

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:Yea they were all shipped eggs. I have tried using a Little giant with a fan and me turning the eggs and I have tried 2 other attempts using a broody, with no success. Each broody had 6 eggs under her. This time I started out with 7 eggs, and 4 got trampled on, I believe by a couple of young roosters that were bullied by a hen. Long story short It left my broody with 3 eggs which she has been on really well. I'm just starting to believe they must be hard to hatch.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd say it's the shipping more than anything else. I have good hatches from my own Marans eggs and don't treat them any different than I do my other breed's eggs.

6. peewee6765

peewee6765 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    do you have any humidity?

7. marymac

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:I guess there is humidity, I have a broody silky sitting on the 3 eggs.

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    You're most likely having problems because you have shipped eggs. I tried hatching in a homemade bator and like you, spent tons on having maran eggs shipped to me. I did finally manage to get three FBCM's to hatch from one of these shipped attempts. THEN I bought a real incubator. I spent $99 on a Brinsea Octogan. I found a reputable breeder of FBCM's about an hour away from me and I drove to get the eggs myself. Every single one of them hatched. I also have to add that I've been attempting to hatch serama eggs forever and a day but managed to get 100% hatch in my Brinsea along with those FBCM.

Another thing, I've heard a lot of success stories, but myself I'm not a big fan of the LG. For the same amount of money, the Brinsea Octogan is the way to go.

9. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Quote:I haven't tried a broody hen but I did buy Silkies just for that purpose after not having good luck hatching last year. This year my hatch rate was waaaaaay better. I did buy an incubator with an egg turner though. What I have found was that some of the Marans eggs take loner to hatch than other eggs. Even out of the same batch. I have stopped taking them out right after the hatch date has passed. This year I had some hatch 4 days after the day I had them scheduled for & I was thinking I must have marked them wrong until another breeder tols me she had a batch hatch over a seven day period.....Go figure!!!!

10. marymac

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Since this is only 1 day late I plan to let her sit some more just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure where I read this, but seems some place I read you can lightly sand the Marans eggs with fine sandpaper before trying to hatch. Does any one know any thing about that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by