Secure roof/cover for run

ladykbug

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Need ideas. We need to cover our run. It's appx 16 x 20. Husband wants something that will not require a lot of lumber as we are almost out of what we have.
It has to keep out hawks, raccoons, etc.
We are going camping for 5 days in July and want to leave the chicken door open so the neighbor guy only has to check food and water and not come over twice a day

So, what can we use to cover the run that will allow the chickens 'free range' and plenty of protection ??? and is cheap ( there's always that, eh ? )

I am using 1/2 19 gage mesh. The cheapest I found it, is on Wayfair website. I got 50 ft x 4ft rolls for 60$, (they had a deal going) While it can be costly, I figure I'm going to do it right the first time (hopefully) to keep all predators out of my chicken area, would rather spend the money now than later when I find a bunch of dead chickens:(

LOL I live in town but the chickens are at my moms house. One day I was passing the park and they were taking down the shade netting around the tennis court. Lots of it. Now I could see many uses for that. So long story short they gave all of it to me.
I took one role of this and used it on my chicken yard. Spent about 20$ on some lumber and screws and thats all. Nothing fancy but very workable. Keeps all the other birds out also. Might check your parks departments and see if they are going to be doing this to any of the courts in your area

We used welded wire. Got 2x4 12 gage 50' galvanized at Menard's for $30. It's 4' wide so you'd just have to run a couple 2x4's across to attach the sides and give added strength.

LOL I live in town but the chickens are at my moms house. One day I was passing the park and they were taking down the shade netting around the tennis court. Lots of it. Now I could see many uses for that. So long story short they gave all of it to me.
I took one role of this and used it on my chicken yard. Spent about 20$ on some lumber and screws and thats all. Nothing fancy but very workable. Keeps all the other birds out also. Might check your parks departments and see if they are going to be doing this to any of the courts in your area
That was a lucky find!

Could you put an electric wire around the perimeter and fruit tree netting over the top to keep raptors out? Maybe you could put a couple pvc pipe hoops in the middle of the pen to support the netting.

See I am thinking about the raccoons if the want it there. Sounds like wire is not gonna stop em. Racoons are only active at night. Your birds need a secure nighttime house and just netting over the run. That is what I do. Netting is cheap on eBay. If you are in the country get a Great Pyrenees. That's the only way I stopped the problem.

Need ideas. We need to cover our run. It's appx 16 x 20.

So, what can we use to cover the run that will allow the chickens 'free range' and plenty of protection ??? and is cheap ( there's always that, eh ? )

This is a great thread. We are in exactly the same position. We have a run about the same size and the sides are done but we don't have a top on it, yet. Our sides have 2x4 welded wire on them and I think we are going to use the same on the top. We are just trying to decide if it would best to run the wire up and over or down the length of the roof. Our run roof line is pitched so it is tall enough for people to walk in as necessary. Hmmm, not explaining that well, am I?

I would love to have the run completely secure so that the chickens could go in and out as they want, but I'm afraid the 2x4 welded wire on the sides is not secure enough for that. Right now we just open and close the door for them each morning.

Good thread. I'm going to subscribe and watch for updates.

From the research I've done the welded wire is coon proof. HOWEVER, you could still have the reach through problem, as the 2x4 squares can easily be reached through for something to grab them...
My thinking on that is if everyone goes in the coop at night then there are no chickens in the run to grab... right? So then, you could potentially not lock up the coop.
So depending on where you are and if you have smaller predators that could get through 2x4 square, like maybe a weasel, if you don't you should be fine.

We are thinking about also putting some chicken wire on the outside of the welded wire, just on the bottom 2 or 3 feet, however tall the chicken wire is that we purchased. It will also be burried in the ground with the welded wire, so hopefully, together they will be more predator proof. I know that that won't stop a small climbing creature, though. I would think that we may just continue to close them in the coop at night. Just for peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom