Securing Guillotine Style Pop Door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nannanc, Mar 8, 2017.

1. nannanc

nannanc Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Mid MO
    My tractor is almost complete! We used a guillotine style pop door to access the coop from the run, but I'm wondering how to best secure it when closed? I worry about a predator gaining access to the run at night (since it is a tractor the underneath is vulnerable) and I want them to be completely protected in the coop.
    I was considering putting old [​IMG]window weights on the string that opens and closes the door. Would that work?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not see the "guillotine" style door? Can you add a locking leaver on the door that wedges on the other side when the rope pressure is let off but is pulled up a little(releases the wedge pressure) as the rope is drawn up to raise the door? Are you not worried about that cheap chicken wire you have on the whole outside of the tractor. That would not be safe at all to good size predators like big dogs, even a good size raccoon ??

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  3. nannanc

nannanc Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Mid MO
    It isn't all the way done yet :) Thank you for the idea!

4. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    Frame it so from the outside the bottom of the door is behind another piece of wood.

It'll keep prying fingers from being able to lift the door.

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have a simple guillotine style door (I suggest cutting the door 8-12"above the floor). If you look closely against the right hand grey panel of my coop you can see the nylon whipper snipper line leading to the top of my human door. The hole through the human door is drill down ward NOT 90ยบ to combat friction.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Definitely a good idea.^^^

I ran a rod thru the framing to above the door when it was down.
    You can see a pic of it on My Coop page.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Ditto on this. My door drops lower than the doorway threshold, so a critter cannot get their claws underneath the door to try and open it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by