1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

securing nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by geepers6, Oct 2, 2013.

1. geepers6

geepers6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    I have an "amish" style shed with nesting boxes jutting out of the coop. They have an exterior lift top door. I seem to get water in there when it's very windy rain etc. Also I'm concerned that the top isn't very secure. Is there a trick to securing it? Any photos would be helpful too. Thanks

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Pictures would make it much easier to help you

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. geepers6

Jun 29, 2013
    That's where my technology limitations come in. I'll try to download a photo. :(

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'm going to guess the water comes in at the top of the door, and possibly around the sides.

If that is the case, covering the gap with something flexible will divert water over it rather than letting it in, and still allow the door to open. A strip of heavy plastic or vinyl should work

If it comes in on the sides too, you can try weatherstripping, or adding a peice of wood trim to the edges so theres an overhang

5. geepers6

Jun 29, 2013
    Thanks. That makes sense. We had quite a storm yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I think it depends on the direction of the wind.
    Weather stripping should help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by