Securing you coop and run?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dixiedoodle, May 12, 2008.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I know there are lots of ideas on the forum about securing the coop and run from four legged varmits but how about from the human 'snakes' that are showing up more and more? Those that have no respect for other's belongings?

So, how do you secure your chickens from being stolen? Do you have dogs? Geese? Alarm systems? Do you have motion sensors? Do you have your coop--hidden? IF so how? How many people know your routine and that you have animals?

I never really thought too much about securing my animals until a man near us had his chickens, chicks and eggs stole. In broad daylight, while he was gone to do errands! Only gone two hrs. and he was cleaned out except the free range hens!

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    Key lock on the door and a deadbolt.

Battery powered electric fence. Four hot wires running around the fence run.

Motion sensor spot lights by the door.

Dogs that bark at strangers. (the will lick you to death)

Just remember.... that locks keep honest people out and might slow down a thief at best.

3. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    It can be a problem.

The first thing is: location, location, location. If your coop is very far from your house, it's harder to keep an eye on.

I have mine out behind my house, which goes into forest, then a canyon. Not perfect, but a better location than anywhere else.

Also, yes I do have dogs, and a rather large one naps near the coop. He discourages the 4-leggeds, but I imagine he'd make a 2-legged think twice, also.

That's about all I do. You can go to all sorts if lengths, but if someone really wants in, they will get in.

If your house is in town, or your coop near a road, then you will want some deterrent, like latched doors and lights on sensors. Motion detectors aren't bad, but remember to take into account your other pets, the neighbor's dog, and any kids which may come around.

Sometimes the thieves are just opportunists and/or not very brave. They steal things if it's fast and easy, so making it more difficult might help.

In other cases, such as people who premeditate taking them, it's difficult to do much about it, other than the measures you've already thought of.

Sad stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by