1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

See my chicken ark!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by momoeight, Oct 2, 2011.

1. momoeight

momoeight Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    I am BRAND SPANKIN' new to chickens. My awesome 17 yo son built me this chicken ark. He has been apprenticing as a plumber and insisted on making it out of PVC. It is working out great as a way to have the little chicks have some fresh air and grass time. Also helps to keep the stink down, as I can have them out of the brooder for the warm part of the day!! I based the dimensions on the fact that I have a small yard and it fits in my veggie garden areas which are very narrow. It is super lightweight. I figure that when the hens are full grown, I will be able to put 2-3 in there for the day. We are building a run and coop. If any of you want to send kudos to my son, I will share this thread with him. It would make him real proud!!

[​IMG]

2. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG][​IMG] I think it looks good.He did a wonderful job.It will do and I'd use it as time goes on to help get my young chickens use to being with older chickens.I may borrow it for my future flocks.Good luck with your chickens.

3. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    he did a wonderful job [​IMG]

4. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    Hey, tell your young man he did a great job!

How'd he attach the wire to the PVC? I'm stealing this idea since I'll probably be ordering chicks in the next few days. My brother works for a plumbing company and I purchase my PVC from him at a discount. [​IMG]

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:looks like zip tyes

6. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

The only thing bad about it is that it's not in my yard! [​IMG]

7. foxfire

foxfire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    That young man did a great job. Give him a standing ovation! [​IMG]

8. momoeight

momoeight Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Yes it is zip ties. I had him make sure that the ends were all on the outside of the cage because when you clip off the extra it can leave a sharp edge and I didn't want those on the inside where a chick might run into with an eye or something. One end is hinged as a door. We just are using wire to close it. But to be honest, most of the time I am just lifting up one side to put the chicks in or out. Will probably use the door more as they get older and trained to come out for a treat!

I have an old sheet that I drape over it for shade once the sun is beating down. I am bring them inside if it rains still

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  9. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG] and your son did a GREAT job!!!

10. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]