See My Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by havingfun, Mar 14, 2011.

1. havingfun

havingfun In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Skowhegan Maine
    [​IMG] This is Henry
    [​IMG]This is King

King got his name because he is in charge. Henry is afraid of him. My concern is what he looks like. I don't think anybody else is afraid of him. I think the hens are picking his feathers. King appears to be healthy, he crows regularly and chases Henry. Doesn't seem to be sowing his oats yet like Henry is. Both roosters have alittle frostbite that I am keeping an eye on. There was alittle black on Kings crown before the weather got cold. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should be doing are just let nature take its course. I have 33 hens that go with these 2 roosters.

2. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Songster

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    I do not mean to offend! Is there something special about King you wish to pass on? Right now he looks to literally be the epitome of "Hen pecked" even his body posture. He stands like he isn't well.
    I don't know about the black growth on the comb.
    Is Kings lack of interest in the girls a new thing, or could he be gender confused? All I know is he looks like someone took a pair of clippers to him and did a really poor job, poor baby.

[​IMG] Sorry

3. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    The black on King's comb could be scabs. If the hens are picking his feathers, they are probably picking at his comb too. I would put him in a dog crate to let him regrow his feathers and for his comb to heal.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Your poor boy King.

What are you feeding and what is the protein percentage of the feed?

How long has he been in this feather condition?

Breeding takes a lot of energy - King is using all his energy for basic life at this point (stay alive, stay warm, keep the other rooster away so he doesn't get beat).

If he were my bird I would bring him into the house or a warmed garage (without the normal feather covering he is having a very very hard time keeping warm). Up his protein, offering a bit of chopped liver, scrambled eggs, high protein feed (28 or 30%) - feathers require a great deal of protein to grow. And I would daily monitor the feather growth, looking to see if he is indeed regrowing feathers.

He reminds me of a parrot with PBFD – Parrot Beak and Feather Disease. You can google it for lots of information and pictures. I do not believe that chickens can acquire this disease, but I am not 100% sure.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] X2 How can King be interested in sex when he is denuded. Well, let me reword that.[​IMG] He's been using all of his energy to survive. I would put him somewhere by himself so that he can regrow some feathers.

6. Coldweatherbirds

Coldweatherbirds Chirping

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Maine
    My rooster is starting to look like King!!! Is king an Ameracauna cross like mine? What is wrong with them??? My rooster is alone with 8 girls. Other than his feathers breaking off he seems ok. Is it the bad winter we had? I'm de-worming all my birds right now, just-in-case. I haven't found any mites. Poor roosters!

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    King looks scared and stressed in the picture.
    I agree that he needs to be seperated to get his strength up and health back.
    Is he supposed to be a Gold Laced Wyandotte? Noticed some of the feathers look laced and he has a rose comb.
    Poor fella, feel bad for him all hen pecked.

8. havingfun

havingfun In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Skowhegan Maine
    King is a golden laced wyandotte and I want to hatch eggs with him. He only seems to be scared of me I think he was uncomfortable with me taking pictures. I will separate him though and give him some extra protein. Thanks.

9. StarStruck203

StarStruck203 In the Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    not to offend either, but king looks pretty horrible, and even your other rooster does not look amazing. look at his saddle feathers - they look 'hen pecked' some too.

oh and a tip that i found to work amazing on my coup - put some wheat straw on the ground around thier coop and run - it minimizes all that mud i see in your pictures - and then throw out some cracked corn or something so the hens will have something to peck at instead of poor King :) bored hens are very bad, you want to give them something to do. another thing- maybe get a hanging head of lettus or broccoli for them to peck at and jump for - that will be funny to watch and keep them distracted and entertained :)

hope that helps some, even though it was not exactly what you were asking about, i figured maybe your hens were pecking King because they were bored. lol

good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: