See some neat FEET!

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Shezadandy, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I've had plenty of toes that start out pink and fill in the rest of the way with whatever the main color happens to be, but this is the first one of these I've seen- she's around 3 mo old now.

They tickled me pink … ehhhr … blue …. so I thought I'd share.

P1290428.JPG P1290429.JPG P1290430.JPG P1290431.JPG P1290433.JPG

Attached Files:

2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

What breed is it?

chrissynemetz likes this.
  3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    She is a mix of mixes. One of my broody hens started a secret nest at our new house - and by the time I found the eggs they were far enough along that I just let her hatch them. Usually I've got everything marked when I set eggs - but on top of being a mix of mixes … she's also a mystery chick.

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Well, with those feet as an identification color, you will know what one she is even if you have another one of the same colored feathering.

Shezadandy likes this.
  5. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Yes! I have a number of dark grays running about, but she will be unmistakable! Usually they're easy to distinguish once they've got their final feathers, but she went out and got herself a tattoo. :gig

I am going to check her siblings from that same hatch tomorrow to see whether anyone else from the mystery batch (9 hatched, 3 cockerels, 6 pullets) did the same thing. It's been a chaotic year with moving, building and getting a property ready to sell. I did keep the shells though, so once I get back to my normal record keeping, and everyone is done molting and back to laying, I might be able to narrow it down- and of course seeing them at maturity helps.

AMERAUCANAS4REAL and BlueBaby like this.
  6. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz I want a hippopotamus for Christmas

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    That's really cool! I wonder if they'll stay that way? :)

Shezadandy likes this.
  7. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I hope so! Will definitely be keeping an eye on it.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Crowing

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    She has some pretty tootsies!!:)

Shezadandy likes this.
  9. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Enabler

Nov 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Wow! Those are some great photos, and feet! By any chance, may I see a picture of the whole bird in question?

Shezadandy likes this.
  10. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I'm kind of fascinated by the individual scales that are half black and half blue.

Of course it rained- so her toes are covered in mud, but this is the striped toed chicken.
    Edited to add: That white tail belongs to another pullet in just the right spot so it looks like it could be hers, LOL - she's the same color/pattern all over.

upload_2019-11-12_18-3-34.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: