Seed mix? Anyone know if these are ok??

The Coop-D-etat

And to you good madame, I ruffle mine Feathers 🐓
Feb 6, 2021
Bismarck, North Dakota
Hello friends,

I am building two rather large "grazing boxes" with wire mesh over it to keep the chickens from demolishing the root system of these seeds I want to sprout and grow for them to graze on in their run.

I bought two packs of seeds one 2lb bag of Wheatgrass seed which I know can be fed to the birds when they sprout. But my question is with this other pack of mixed seeds that's basically meant for ground cover for your garden. I was wondering if any of you guys know if any of these plants when sprouted and allowed to grow would be otherwise harmful for the birds. I know chickens somewhat tend to stay away from things that are poisonous for them but when it's right there infront of their beaks ya never know.

This is what makes up this mixed seed bag. Spring Field Peas - 25% Winter Wheat - 15% Winter Barley - 15% Common Vetch - 12% Buckwheat - 12% Crimson Clover - 9% Hairy Vetch - 6% Red Clover - 3% Yellow Blossom Sweet Clover - 3%

Any information would be much appreciated. Figure I ask now and learn rather than learn the hard way.

Thank you much,
Ry.

Hello friends,

I am building two rather large "grazing boxes" with wire mesh over it to keep the chickens from demolishing the root system of these seeds I want to sprout and grow for them to graze on in their run.

I bought two packs of seeds one 2lb bag of Wheatgrass seed which I know can be fed to the birds when they sprout. But my question is with this other pack of mixed seeds that's basically meant for ground cover for your garden. I was wondering if any of you guys know if any of these plants when sprouted and allowed to grow would be otherwise harmful for the birds. I know chickens somewhat tend to stay away from things that are poisonous for them but when it's right there infront of their beaks ya never know.

This is what makes up this mixed seed bag. Spring Field Peas - 25% Winter Wheat - 15% Winter Barley - 15% Common Vetch - 12% Buckwheat - 12% Crimson Clover - 9% Hairy Vetch - 6% Red Clover - 3% Yellow Blossom Sweet Clover - 3%

Any information would be much appreciated. Figure I ask now and learn rather than learn the hard way.

Thank you much,
Ry.
Every thing should be fine except for the Vetch. got no clue what that is

I know that mix, used something quite similar on one of my acres. Its Hairy Vetch, and yes, its all good. Tiny, moderately pretty flowers, it tends to wrap around the taller growing stalks. Common vetch doesn't secure the soil as well, but for your purposes, that might be a good thing.

Assume you bought it off Amazon?

I've used this one. Mixed results, much better if you till it, which is easier in a tray of course. The fenugreek is - in my climate - surprisingly robust. Also used this one. The daikons did poorly, and the mustards disappointed - but I've had difficulty with mustards (different types) from different suppliers, so its my soil, not the species.

I know that mix, used something quite similar on one of my acres. Its Hairy Vetch, and yes, its all good. Tiny, moderately pretty flowers, it tends to wrap around the taller growing stalks. Common vetch doesn't secure the soil as well, but for your purposes, that might be a good thing.

Assume you bought it off Amazon?

I've used this one. Mixed results, much better if you till it, which is easier in a tray of course. The fenugreek is - in my climate - surprisingly robust. Also used this one. The daikons did poorly, and the mustards disappointed - but I've had difficulty with mustards (different types) from different suppliers, so its my soil, not the species.
Oh yea I was intending to add that I got it from Amazon.😅 I spaced that part sorry!

I've been trying to do some research and I came up on the debate of vetch. I always find myself in areas of "great debates" 😑🤣 which is fine I being proactive about. I mean I could pick out the vetch type seeds. But I will also pe growing Wheatgrass to boot. I've read that to much can start an aneima issue along with poor egg and fertility rate. Which I assume that's the case in a huge abundance or makes up over 10% of their diet. BUT since it won't be in huge supply I can't imagine it will do any harm at all. Especially most of what I grow will have to be planted every spring cause I'm almost positive it won't survive the winters here. I know some will but good luck with the tiny raptors at it throughout the year.

I appreciate your time and effort. Thank you much for the response!

You are doing the right thing, researching, asking questions, relying on the experience of others.

and you are right, if it was a substantial portion of the diet - whatever you plant - you risk nutritional imbalance. My birds free range, so I've tried to ensure a very broad assortment. They tend to graze, but they do have favorites, and there are seasonal differences in what's green at the moment - enough so that it affects egg yolk color!

By keeping quantity limited and providing substantial variety, you are doing all you reasonably can to avoid those issues.

Picking seeds out of those mixes (the vetch look like large smooth peppercorns, about 1/4" in dia) is much more work than it should be! You could shake, and shake, and shake, wait for them to rise to the top, they are surprisingly light weight for the size - but I wouldn't (*and didn't) bother.

Vetch is high in estrogen. It can cause problems with sheep fertility if ewes are on lush vetch prior to breeding season. I have no idea if the estrogen will bother chickens.
You might be thinking of this study? That was 8-15% of their total dietary mass daily as vetch, quite a high concentration. Confident OP will be well below that volume.

Though you raise a good issue to keep in mind whenever a single crop makes up a substantial portion of a creature's diet.

Back
Top Bottom