Seed Swap!

newbie32

Songster
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Low Desert, CA
Hi everyone! Wouldn't it be great to trade heirloom seeds with others and reduce our money spending? Some of us have seeds from plants that thrive year after year. Why not start a seed swap? Mailing them would be super cheap-46 cents.

I plan on buying Amaranth heirloom seeds within the next few weeks. These can be rare and they grow anywhere. I would be willing to swap some for heirloom seeds when I get my first crop.

Anyone wanting to swap any type of seed post on here and see who is interested!!! Heirlooms are appreciated by most-just saying.

Please do not post phone numbers or addresses on the thread. Interested parties should send a private message to the party they are interested in swapping with.

The more information about your seeds and plants the better

Last edited:
I'm game. How bout laying some ground rules? Posters can list what they have available, recipients can send SASE. Hopefully there'll be a bit of give and take so those offering seeds will also benefit from receiving seeds as well. I think addresses should be kept private, perhaps shared by PM only. Also, posters should give specifics re: their seeds: Home grown? Variety? likelihood of being pure vs. hybridized from something else in the garden, gardening zone of the poster, age of seed. There is also the seed saver's exchange which is an already established group doing the same thing. It might be worth while to check that out. Lets have some more input here.

I've also heard of a seed exchange that's set up like a chain letter. It's started by someone placing their seeds in a large envelope. It's then sent on to the next person who takes a few out, adds a few, then sends it on to the next person. It would be a closed loop so the envelope would make it's way back to the original sender. Potentially more expense involved b/c of postage on large envelope.

Last edited:
I'm game. How bout laying some ground rules? Posters can list what they have available, recipients can send SASE. Hopefully there'll be a bit of give and take so those offering seeds will also benefit from receiving seeds as well. I think addresses should be kept private, perhaps shared by PM only. Also, posters should give specifics re: their seeds: Home grown? Variety? likelihood of being pure vs. hybridized from something else in the garden, gardening zone of the poster, age of seed. There is also the seed saver's exchange which is an already established group doing the same thing. It might be worth while to check that out. Lets have some more input here.

I've also heard of a seed exchange that's set up like a chain letter. It's started by someone placing their seeds in a large envelope. It's then sent on to the next person who takes a few out, adds a few, then sends it on to the next person. It would be a closed loop so the envelope would make it's way back to the original sender. Potentially more expense involved b/c of postage on large envelope.
I agree with trading, hence the swap idea. IDK what SASE stands for. Yes PM is best and I will add that. I didn't realize their was another swap. I will check it out.

I checked Seed Saver's Exchange. It's not a swap, it's a preservation effort for heritage seeds. They have a lot of interesting varieties. Prices not too bad. Not sure about shipping or membership requirements. Check it out.

SASE stands for self address stamped envelope.
LOL thanks I now feel dumb that I couldn't figure that out on my own.
tongue.png

I checked Seed Saver's Exchange. It's not a swap, it's a preservation effort for heritage seeds. They have a lot of interesting varieties. Prices not too bad. Not sure about shipping or membership requirements. Check it out.
I just purchased a few seeds today because I couldn't find the ones I lost
sad.png
. I got heirloom green beans, heirloom sunflowers-thanks chicken-lady13 for that idea, heirloom bell peppers, I got heirloom romaine lettuce, and heirloom beets. I looked and looked for heirloom cucumbers but apparently they are hard to find! I want heirlooms because I can save seeds from harvest for other seasons and because Monsanto doesn't grow heirloom anything so less chances of GMO hybrid anything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom