seed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by o-townchicken, Feb 25, 2012.

1. o-townchicken

o-townchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    So, If the chickens are eating all of my grass seed, when they poop it out will it still grow?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Unlikely.

That grit in their gizzards is grinding up whatever they eat, and once the seed is broken, the birds digest it.

Some seeds are spread by birds, but they are hard coated seeds. Grass seed is soft.

3. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I planted pasture grass seed for my ducks and then the ducks had to be kept off the area. Even when the grass is up, the ducks (and chickens) can pull the baby grass up by the roots, So the birds must be kept out of the area until the grass is well established and the roots are large and firmly anchored.

4. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Also, if you are buying commercial grass seed, it is often treated with fungicides, and occasionally with rodenticide or insecticide. So you don't want to have your chickens eating that.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have found it useful to throw out clover seed when chickens are on the range I am trying to reseed, as the seeds are so tiny even the mice cannot find it and eat it all in time, LOL.

Only thing is that it is pricey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by