Seeding a new lawn

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by groomshop, Mar 29, 2009.

1. groomshop

groomshop New Egg

Mar 11, 2009
    I need to reseed my lawn. My chickens get free run of the place. I need sugestions on how to do this. I can do some parts at a time and I can leave the girls in there run for as long?? as it might take. Will they eat the seed~I am sure of it~ they eat everything! but will it be ok even after the grass starts growing? Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Unless you plan on keeping them off of it permanently they're going to trash it in no time.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    DH just planted a bunch of grass seed in the spot where our propane tank used to be. The chickens thought it was delicious.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Okay, so what about sodding? Hubby is a golf course superintendent and is beside himself at the state of our lawn- albeit not entirely the chickens fault, as we have dogs and flooding, but nonetheless, we will never be able to truly establish a lawn, even with all of his expertise. I was thinking about sodding- he was thinking of giving up.

Has anyone ever sodded, and if so, would moderate ranging, supervised, be something the yard could withstand?

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    That would probaly depend on the size of the yard and the number of chickens. Mine haven't trashed the yard (unless you count eating all flowers and vegetables), but my yard is over 7 acres.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by