Seeding pen with some sort of grain

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lhousesoccer, Mar 13, 2013.

1. lhousesoccer

lhousesoccer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    My chickens have worn down their 25x25 pen to just bare dirt and mud (and alot of manure). This spring, I'd like to seed it with something that will sprout and grow. I'll keep them out of it, of course, until it's done growing and ready for more trampling. What sort of grain/grass would people recommend that they would like to eat? I think I should just be able to scratch up the dirt real good, sprinkle in the seed, and water well. Any tips?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. dadtochickenfan

dadtochickenfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Great minds think alike! I am planning on doing the same thing. I'm curious to see what the replies are.

3. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    I was debating using my wild flower packets this way! HA!

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    maybe something like a cover crop that grows fast. buckwheat, field peas, oats, sunflower are a few that come to mind - of course it depends on your climate, sun exposure, etc.

5. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    what mag was i just reeding about growing rhy? with covered hardware cloth frames. The frames were based on 2x4 sides so girls couldnt eat the grass down to nothing. as the rhy grew up through the screen they nibbled it off. it allows you to re-seed areas inside a working run. frames were roughly 4x4 although could be made larger ....

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  7. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    Oh, that looks great! Thanks for sharing that!

8. TattooedKeeper3

TattooedKeeper3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Plantersville, Tx
    I was just looking at my chicken yard today wondering if I could plant rye grass there. I bookmarked the page about grazing frames. I love that idea. I already have things here to make them with. Thank you so much for this thread. This website is awesome! [​IMG]

9. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by