Seeding/Reseeding ground cover for chicken yard ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by zekii, Jan 2, 2011.

1. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    We are going to rotate our chickens between 3 different enclosed yards. Between rotations is there any reccomendations for seeding a ground crop for chickens, probably something that will grow quickly, and be beneficial for them ?
    Also I'm sure this would be based on our growing zone, which is zone 5.

2. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
  3. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    [​IMG]

4. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    I am planning the same thing. You will need to plant at least 2 or 3 seasons of crops. Peas, mangel (beets), mustard, and any cole crops or greens make good forage for spring and fall. Buckwheat would make a good summer forage. Depending on your site and the weather, you could get a cold crop, a warm crop and a cold crop for them to graze on. If you have 3 yards, you might want to do a spring cover in one really early, middle and late. Then, you can graze them on whichever plot looks best. If one fails, you just plant it with your warm crop. In mid/late July, you can switch over to planting your cold season crops again. If you want to store some seed for winter feeding, plant one of the plots with feed corn and sunflowers. That's about the best you can do in zone 5. At least, you would give the best chance for successful forage crops. If you have a long summer, you might be able to overseed with rye or clover to give a little extra green to control erosion.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I wish they sold the seed and not the plants. I'll probably buy what is available locally, annual rye and clover, and see what else they have.

Also [​IMG]

6. jenhippiechic

jenhippiechic New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    Just wanted to say to Mak Thank You SO SO much!! I have spent so much time trying to find what I could plant for my chickens and this is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by