Seedling heating pad

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PDXRN, Dec 7, 2009.

1. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I am trying one of these heating pads between two pieces of plywood with their drinking water on it and a gallon jug closed for radiant heat. THe thing doesn't get very warm and will only raise the ambient temp 10-20 f at the most. It is as cold as it should get around here right now in the high teens for lows. My Houdan likes to stay in the hen house alot but the rest of them (2 SLW, BO, EE, PBR and a Polish) don't seem to mind the cold one bit. I thought any bit of warmth would help and and I shouldn't have to worry about their water freezing. Anyone else used one of these heating pads with any luck?

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MT10006-Seedling-Heat-Inches/dp/B0001WV010

2. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    I am in PDX too..it's awfully cold. I have one of these seedling pad's too but hadn't thought to use it. I've been dealing with frozen water and have had to really keep an eye on it. My three hens seem to be taking it pretty well..I do worry about them at night though, it gets so cold

3. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    ok so it definately kept their water from freezing. Some lucky hen got the warm seat right next to the water and the rest seemed no worse for wear. THe coop temp this morning was around 19f and it was 16f outside. This was taken across the hen house from the heating pad. I need to find a better way to measure it on the other side. The plywood is warm to touch but not hot. And today when I got home from work they were taking a dust bath in wet sand as the temp rose to a balmy 32f. I don't think the flock is bothered by the temp nearly as much as I am. They have continued to lay, one egg yesterday and two today. Not bad for below freezing temps and only two confirmed layers.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by