Seeing impaired chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChopperLinc, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ChopperLinc

ChopperLinc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT
    So, I decided to start a mealworm colony. After realizing that giant mealworms will not pupate and breed, I replaced the stock and gave the giants to the girls. They were pretty dang excited, except Barbie, my buff Sex Link kept pecking all around the worm, but couldn't seem to find it. She only got a few out of the hundred because my other girls snatched them up when she couldn't. When she did get one she really seemed to enjoy it, so I don't think she was being timid.

Anyone else ever seen behavior like this in a young pullet? I think she's probably 10 weeks old.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have a little cochin pullet that's blind in one eye. I had to syringe her food for the first few days of her life. She looks around with her good eye, and sticks with a certain group of chicks that seem to help take care of her. I keep the food and water in the same place at all times. I also have to hand feed her treats just to make sure she gets some. Now that she's used to hearing my voice, she'll also come to me when I talk. She's become very friendly. It may be a little more difficult if your chick is blind in both eyes, but I've read quite a few posts about BYCers keeping blind chooks successfully. Good luck!

3. ChopperLinc

ChopperLinc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT
    I've read quite a few posts about BYCers keeping blind chooks successfully.

Most of the silkies I've seen look blind with all that fuzz on their faces!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to see how she does. I don't think she's totally blind because she gets around pretty well and doesn't seem to have a hard time feeding from the bin.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by