Seeing OTHER folks' free range chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gryeyes, May 27, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Does anybody else suddenly notice chickens in yards - not in runs - or on the sides of roads outside fences and gates? I've found myself slowing down, sometimes even pulling over in my car, to watch chickens free range wherever I see them.

I check to see if I can see coops, the type of fencing security (or lack thereof), the number of roosters, any juveniles with hens, all that stuff. What breeds I can recognize.....

It's like a new obsession, which is occurring off my own property, for once. I mean, it's sort of spilled over into Life Outside Of My Own BackYard. I want to knock on doors and ask questions about their chickens or their experience(s). That would probably be pretty strange, so I've resisted THAT impulse.

But now I've even begun to alter my usual travel patterns, taking roads and streets past property I've already identified as Free Range Chicken Habitat. So I can look again and again. Seeing hens peck and scratch, noticing the jaunty rooster tails, all that appreciation of chickens. Their contented roaming just makes me smile!

So, how nuts am I?

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Haha your not nuts (or maybe I am too) Since I got into chickens again last year I swear I know every house that has chickens within 20 miles of my house lol I also change my driving patterns to go by them so I can shout out breed names much to the irratation of my passengers.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I notice more. I don't pull over or gawk at them, but I do notice. Haven't changed my driving patterns either....guess that makes me the weird one here huh? [​IMG]

4. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    oh thank god, i thought i was the only one! lol [​IMG]

5. chickensnax

chickensnax Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    south Texas
    Ha Ha, no way by far are you a weired on, if so then we all are weird too. I haven't altered by driving plan, only because I can't and second
    because there are plenty of chickens on said path. But I do make a point when driving by the places that I know have chickens to take a look.
    I'm always courious to where the 'flock' is ranging today and trying to spot any breeds that I'm familiar with.

But I do always have the temptation of stopping sometime when I have a Broody and wanting to exchange eggs. That way I'd be introducing
    some outside blood to the gene pool and maybe a way of getting some different breeds that I want. But so far I've resisted probably more
    so because I haven't seen any of the breeds I want In any known outside flocks.

Chicken's gotta Love 'em.

6. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    On my way to town there's a house close to the road that has a chicken coop with a fenced in run. They let them out to free-range often. I usually see them in the pasture with their horses or around their house, but quite often the flock of guinea hens will run across the street to get to the neighbor's pond. I've had to slam on my breaks twice to avoid them. This happens often because I've mentioned it to others and they say the same thing.

I've always wanted to knock on their door and ask about their experiences, but I too have resisted to strong urge to do this. How weird would that be??

Mine free-range and the only people that see them are close family members that have to honk at them to get them out of the driveway. We have a family estate property where we are the first house along the long driveway. We often hear the rest of the family honking in the driveway, but the hens are become increasingly difficult to move. They don't fear the cars anymore so that's scary.

I'm always on the lookout for chickens now. [​IMG]

7. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    I can spot a chicken coop at 70mph in the dark. Sometimes I see really old ones and wish I could get in there to check it out.

8. I LOVE to see chickens in other peoples yards! When we are driving or running I LOVE it!

9. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:No, you're not nuts! I do the same thing!
    One question, though, do you free range your chickens? I free range mine, but I still do the same.

Jen

10. I do Jen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by