seeking advice on quail

keith123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Georgia
I have minimal experience with poultry but especially with quail but its something I would like to get in to. All advice is welcome. Since I need to start with a coop could somebody suggest some designs. I'm looking to keep it relatively small.just enough to supply a house of four with eggs.

You can keep quail in cages, or pens as they are called. Those rabbit hutches work really well for a handful of birds. Even aviary style settings work for quail too.

You can keep them on wire or solid floors with bedding. They will need a shallow pan of dirt or sand for dust bathing. Quail need a diet high in protein so a gamebird food with 24% to 28% protein is what they need. For laying hens, provide crushed oyster shell on the side. Quail are seasonal layers, laying spring thru fall.

A few branches propped up in the corner of the pen gives them some privacy and security.

They also love the treats like greens, veggies, quartered apples or peaches, all manner of seeds and mealworms.

Quail need to be wormed once or twice a year.

Most people have cortunix for eggs and meat. The more what people call new world quail like gambels, california valley, texas blue scale or more for looks.

Most people have cortunix for eggs and meat. The more what people call new world quail like gambels, california valley, texas blue scale or more for looks.

I've seen some aviary pens that looked like the nesting area was elevated. I thought all quail was

ground dwellers does some seek higher ground.

I found some goat houses on our farm that are unoccupied. I thought I could just wield a few stands so I would raise the height to about 7' but should I build the coops at ground level. I think this could work out well it would be about 16'x12'x7'

Back
Top Bottom