Seeking Advice - Temp Coop

Ahuntley72

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2020
Connecticut
Hello! I am seeking advice/ideas for a temp coop for my three new pullets (approx. 10 weeks) coming soon. I currently have 4 1-year old hens. I have a 6ft x 8ft coop with 16 ft of roost space and 2 nesting boxes. The run is 8 ft x 10 ft. I have another new run adjacent to the original that is 5ft x 10 ft. Currently it shares a side with the original run but will eventually cut a door so they will be able to move among the two sides. Pictures below!
Chicken Run.jpg
Chicken Coop.jpg
Chicken Addition.jpg

I am planning on putting the new ladies in the addition so that they may be next to the other chickens so they may get used to each other, but no one can pick on anyone. In reading threads it seems I should do this for a month?

The run is completely enclosed with hardwire mesh, buried in the ground. Need to get a tarp to protect from rain. While they are in there, I need a temporary coop for the 3 new pullets to roost and go to sleep in. I have an old smaller wire dog crate I could put a roost in. Is that enough? I would like to have them all sleep together one day in the 6 ft x 8 ft coop once they are used to each other. Any easy cheap temporary ideas?

Your coop is big enough to use chicken wire/bird netting to section off a separate area for the younger birds to sleep in (or you could use the dog crate for the same purpose, as temporary sleeping quarters inside the coop), so if you have the time to move them in and out each day, you might want to have them next to each other both day and night by utilizing half the coop for nighttime, and then putting the young birds in the new run half during day time.

Back
Top Bottom