Seeking Advice!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stetsy'sMom, May 23, 2017.

1. Stetsy'sMom

Stetsy'sMom New Egg

May 22, 2017
    I hatched 4 mandarin ducklings, but it has been 24 hours and none will eat or drink. One seems lethargic (just hatched yesterday evening) but the others don't. A really weird thing is they won't walk. They scoot around. I'm trying to get into a vet, but any advice until then would be appreciated. I have dipped their bills in electrolyte water and served them wet, smashed chick starter (non-medicated). No success.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    What's the temperature of your brooder?

3. Stetsy'sMom

Stetsy'sMom New Egg

May 22, 2017
    I'm using the Brinsea EcoGlow and the temp is registering ~90 degrees.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I never force Ducklings to eat or drink...I make a soupy wet mash and I will peep and quick to them as I use my fingers to tap on the food dish....24 hours isn't that long to go without eating..They are still absorbing the yolk......

5. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Ducklings don't eat for the first twenty-four hours after they hatch, since they're still absorbing nutrients from the yolk inside the egg they hatched from.
    Very weak ducklings may need a little extra yolk nutrition before they're ready for starter crumbs. Feed them a bit of mashed duck egg yolk until they become more interested in the starter crumbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by