Seeking Advise on No Crow Rooster Collar

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fancy Chiq, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Fancy Chiq

Fancy Chiq Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    Hello. I've been attempting to use a rooster collar on my Lavender Orpington due to my mother working nights and i'm struggling to find the right fit.Its either not tight enough and barely muffled or too tight and he started throwing his food up when he eats. He loves the largest pieces :(. The package told me to tighten it to the point where i can fit the first digit of my pinky finger, but can't seem to get that middle ground. If anyone has used one, i could really use some advise. Thank you

2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    There is a guy on here (sorry, can't recall his user name) who has quite a bit of experience with the no crow collars. Sorry, I haven't used one.

The thing I remember reading from him that he stressed again and again is to not expect too much from the collars. When they are fitted properly, he said it will reduce the volume of the crow a bit, but won't mute it. He said the name "no crow collar" is greatly misleading, as they don't really do that. They just take the edge off a bit, but the rooster can still crow. It also depends upon the rooster...some roosters will be more affected by the collar than others. He said something to the effect that if you are using one of these collars to try to get some better sleep that the collar might help your situation. "Might" because it depends upon the rooster, how close the coop is to your bedroom, how light of a sleeper you are and how good your hearing is.

IIRC, this man's use of the collars was to reduce the volume of his rooster's crowing so as not to disturb his neighbors as much. I don't recall exactly how close his neighbors were to him, but I didn't gather he was smashed up tight like in a city, perhaps out in the suburbs or even more rural than that.

I hope this helps, though I know it's probably not the answer you wanted to hear. If I come across his posts again, I will try to remember to link them to you here on this thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by