Seeking Advise

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MalloryChick912, Mar 31, 2017.

1. MalloryChick912

MalloryChick912 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2017
    Marysville,Wa
    My husband and I after a lot of thought decided to grow our family -- 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Buff Brahma, 1 Light Brahma, 1 Gold Wyandotte, and 1 Silver Wyandotte.

We have our (fingers crossed) girls on medicated feed, but I like give treats. We've been searching online for a definitive answer and of course it's mixed responses on what is and is not acceptable treats. They are approximately 4 weeks old.

Can anyone give personal advise?

Thank you so much from my girls and I!

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Mine love bread.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    You need chick grit if you're going to feed them treats .
    anything other than chick feed and they need to have chick grit in her diet.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on your new additions.
    Chicks can eat anything an adult chicken would eat -- after all, a chick being raised by a mother hen would be doing exactly that. Generally speaking this would mean seed based treats, veggie scraps, bugs, scrambled eggs (okay, that is not naturally occurring food for them, loL), etc. A favorite "treat" is to offer a little dish of feed that has been soaked in water to create a mush...this has the added benefit of assuring good hydration in your chicks. Just be sure that you don't offer so much extra stuff that they aren't eating enough of their intended feed to get the right nutritional balance (another advantage to using soaked feed as a treat)

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What a grand way to expand your "family"! Congratulations and best wishes!

Grey Mare left out meal worms. Meal worms are the supreme chick treat and they also have the advantage of being a supreme source of entertainment and a form of quality hilarity for the chicks' humans. They are incidentally 50% protein.

Toss a meal worm to a bunch of week-old chicks and they're off and running! The one who got the worm first won't have it long before another one grabs it and takes off with the others in hot pursuit. Just as the worm is about to be snatched, the chick reverses direction, and all are now running in the opposite direction from before. Then the unthinkable occurs! Another chick intercepts the one with the worm, and a tug of war is now underway with two chicks pulling in opposite directions on the hapless worm.

You are hooked on Chick TV! Soon you will be raising your own meal worms because those suckers are expensive! But what price can you place on such a pure form of entertainment?

6. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    My son calls it a chicken show, he digs up worms every day just to watch them.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    LOL - our flock quickly learned the routine of following us every day when we'd go out to let them out of the run -- their coop/run was on the farthest edge of our property and we'd walk back up to the house, across the pasture, and they knew all along the way we'd stop to turn over the rails from DD's jumps, a bucket, etc -- each revealing a feast of worms and bugs. On days when the worms and bugs weren't found there they knew we'd go out to the soft spot just behind the barn where the leftovers from round bales and the resulting accumulation of horse manure from standing around said round bales made from prime "worming" territory and start turning the top layer over to expose all the wriggling goodies they could gobble. It got to the point where they'd just stand there, staring at the fork as we dug in and wait --- as soon as it was turned over it was a mad dash like a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos.

8. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    That's funny because we do the same thing in our pasture. The cows make a mess and we turn the hay over and let the little ones eat bugs, worms , and a lot of those little rolly polly bugs. Its like we are there mom teaching them. We started this when they were so small 16 would fit in a Dr pepper box. We would carry them in the box to the spot.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  9. MalloryChick912

MalloryChick912 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2017
    Marysville,Wa
    Thanks everyone! You guys are too funny!

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    By far, the most nutritious benefit you can offer them is fermented feed. Aside from that, remember to keep protein content in mind. The more treats you give, the more you are cutting their overall protein, unless you are giving animal protein, or some other high protein treat.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by