Seeking Breeders & Genetics peoples help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Oct 23, 2010.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    So I agian will be trying To hatch Hungrain yellow chickens ( in fact one year ago to day i got 60 eggs). This strain ( will one of the only strains in the world) is highly in bred. Fertility & hatch rate is low very low. I have also found that a few of the chicks will die.

So My question is, How would i be able to bring hatchablty and fertility with out cross breeding? I am thinking line breeding but i am not sure that is the way to go.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You have adult birds, yes? I'd love to see pics of them. I've heard of Hungarian Yellows and have seen poor photos of them, but I'm curious - Are they actually on the yellow side, or more of an orange color like New Hampshires? That would help me.

Because really, I'm on the same boat with Tolbunt Polish - but a good way to try and improve them is find the most similar bird in both body type, leg color, and plumage color. So far it looks like Hungarians are a Columbian bird, perhaps with some Di/Di dilute, and maybe not. . .

3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:Someone on here mixes his own feed to increase fertility in his white cornish, though i dont remember his name..... i'll try to find it for you. Im sure he would tell you what he uses.

4. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:No i wish i had adult stock... I will either be getting chicks or eggs, from a collage about 3 hours away, From what i have seen the roosters differ between what i am calling " Red talied black " and A buff tailed black, Buff is like a Buff orp. Colour i guess. The red ( i have only seen pics. On the internet) looks like a Rhode Island red. But not as dark. All pictures of hens i have seen, are the same colour again like a buff tailed black. The Chicks, are a "yellow" Buff colour.

5. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    his user name is al6517

6. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Someone on here mixes his own feed to increase fertility in his white cornish, though i dont remember his name..... i'll try to find it for you. Im sure he would tell you what he uses.

Feed, is not the problem... These are so inbred over the last (70 maybe?) years. Fertility is one of the first things to disappear in inbreeding

7. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Some of these breeds that went by the wayside in popularity also shrank in the gene pool as numbers dwindled..If you can find any other flock to gather from it would be very good..otherwise someday you might be forced to add some of the foundation stock back in ..some people just add a look alike like they often did with the delaware. Its a light sussex and it looks like a delaware (in color only)wrong thinking..better to add a bit of a foundation bird I would think.

8. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:see that's the thing, this line is what saved the breed in hungry (from what i have been told, and read) so i won't be able to find a "new" line, it also appears as if the breed devloped out of "breeds" that were taken to hungry and then most likely crossed medtraining and facny breeds.... No there is no sold foundaction stock to go on [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by