Seeking Chicks in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maybell8, Jan 5, 2009.

1. maybell8

maybell8 New Egg

Jan 5, 2009
    So I have finally talked my husband into getting chickens and he is successfully on board -- and actually probably even more excited than I am as he builds the coop!

Now, I am wondering where to buy chicks from. Thanks to all the advice here I am feeling like MPC is the best online option for me. However, I was wondering if I should think about any local (Southern California) options. The only thing is, given the selection on MPC, I've become very interested in a rather varied flock (8 chicken total, probably about 6 varieties). Is there a local feed store/farm source that can offer that kind of variety? I am willing to drive an hour or so (I am near Pasadena).

Thanks to any Los Angeles-So Cal chicken aficionados for a point in the right direction... and to all the others here for all of the GREAT advice!

2. SullyCarter

SullyCarter Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    hey im in the brentwood-santa monica-pali area,
    i am also hopefully shortly getting some chickens
    there is a place in topanga/malibu called the
    malibu feed bin, they have a very limited selection;
    RIR, Barred Rocks and Buff's as well as rarely easter eggers.

Im probably going to order from mpc this spring.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am in the High Desert - Victorville-Hesperia-Apple Valley area. Where are you?

4. shatbox

shatbox New Egg

Jan 6, 2009
    Just in time! Craigslist.org ! We are collectively submitting our orders to meet the minimum. Lianne will submit the order this Friday so Hurry!

Ivan

5. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,

We are ready to order and I was going to submit the order today, but one fellow asked if I could wait until tomorrow. He wanted to finish deciding what different breeds to order. Anyone else want in on the order?

I currently have Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, and Red sex-linked (Red Comets) in the order. These are all about $2.50 each with the shipping included. Ameraucaunas are also in the order and are about $3.50 w/ shipping included. These are all pullets. They have a pretty good selection of others. If you pick just one ( anything less than 5) of a variety that I did not list, add a $1.50 to the cost. Mixing and matching is not a problem, just no crested varieties or bantams with this order. www.welphatchery.com to check out the selection. I am asking folks to pay when they pick them up at my house in February. Let me know if you are interested or want more details; I will order Saturday morning. You can find my ad on the Los Angeles Craigslist website.

Thanks

*I checked on Marans for someone and they are sold out though March.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by