Seeking Color Genetics Experts/Enthusiasts Opinion

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by adubsroit, Oct 7, 2011.

1. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    In the past month my boyfriend and I allowed our Quail d'Anver hen to go broody in our garage behind some bales of alfalfa. She has tried going broody a few times in the past but never found such a private place.. that the bigger hens couldn't kick her out of, lol. We 4 eggs and only 3 hatched, but she still has 5 under her (with a Cubalaya egg or two also) but here is the real reason for this post: we don't know who the daddy is.

Of the 3 chicks that hatched all are the same exact color, with minor discrepancies in their chipmunking. Again, the mama is a quail d'Anver but the dad may be: a Buff Chantecler, a Wheaten Cubalaya or a Millie Fleur d'Anver (from Boggy Bottoms). I assume that due to their uniformity that the parents are both genetically pure to their pattern/color - or at least darn near so - giving reason to the uniformity of the progeny. Been playing with the chicken calculator but I am just not as familiar with real world examples of what I am looking at, especially because this cross is so random.. Here are some pictures and let the guessing begin:

[​IMG]
    Their faces all look like this, a creamy sort of color that fades into a buff and off-white chipmunk stripe. Looks very much like the faces on a Quail d'Anver.

[​IMG]
    Here is a profile of one of them. Their sides at hatch looked almost lavender but have revealed themselves to be a smokey, dark grey that is very bluish in some lights. The strip down the back is black, for some reason in photos it looks much more red. You can see where the buff sorta off-white starts on the head and goes along their belly.

[​IMG]
    This third pic is just for good measure as you can see two at once. I can't quiet tell what their combs are but they look like roses, slightly cushion, but their is a definite bump (I think) towards the back.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They look a lot to me like pure Duckwings (quail, sans the Columbian and possibly melanizer) However you didn't list such possible father so I'm thinking either Buff or Wheaten daddy.

Buff is Wheaten based, so with either of the two, Wheaten x Duckwing = yellow with with sparse striping, however the Columbian from the Quail may keep a little more striping going. Like this one -

[​IMG]

The above chick is Quail x Wheaten w/Columbian. Mine did vary though because the Wheaten carrying mom had some other genes in her, too, much like a Buff would. Some of the chicks were pale yellow with faint stripes, a couple were black with red faces.

Also, check the comb. What does it look like?

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quail in itself is a duckwing pattern with columbian added, the Millie Fluer is a wheaton base unless they were crossed with a spangle or something esle that was duckwing based but doubtfull, the wheaton is of course a wheaton base and buff is typically based as well.
    For your potential males involved they are all wheaton based and carry columbian so what you get is any guess.. Good luck with them, they should be a quite hardy bunch.

4. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    [​IMG] Thanks for all the input, the more I hear the more I do assume it was one of the three Cubalaya males that could be the daddy especially because one of them does have very subtle, but they're there, Columbian markings.

The chicks look very much like the one you have pictured, Illia, even down to the smokey color on their sides/wings. Also, their combs look very rosecomb-ish but at the same time a little flattened out and very much like a cushion comb. Only time will tell but I'll tell you this much: this morning two of them were very much awake and standing up VERY straight with legs set apart (not splayed) but looking very Cubalayan [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by