ajkarger33

Chirping
Dec 17, 2018
Hello,

Sadly our sweet goose Tami was taken by a predator this afternoon, leaving her mate of 5 years Ric all alone. I’ve read that they can really deteriorate when they are alone for too long, so I’m hoping to bring a couple female companions to him. I can’t stand the idea of him being sad or lonely for too long!

We are outside of Portland, OR and I’m willing to drive a bit if necessary. We are on 20 acres with a 2-acre pond and the geese stay in a pen in our garage every night. We have a wonderful Avian vet and would give any goose a great home! Thank you so much! :)

*I meant to add that ideally we are hoping for a couple of adult females, not to wait for goslings this coming Spring. I’m not concerned about breed; just hopeful I can find a pair that are comfortable interacting with people and are generally friendly!’

I am sorry for your loss. My female goose lost her mate of 10 yrs this past Feb. I was really worried about her when this happened. She and her mate had their own house so I immediately put her in the coop with the ducks and chickens. At first I had to put up a barrier since Sam died during mating season and Missy was a little ornery and some of my Runners would lay down for her for mating and of course she wanted no part of them and would chew on them My one Runner really got chewed on but she is alright. What I am getting at is if you have other poultry it would probably be a good idea to move Ric in with your other poultry so he won't be lonely. Even if you have to make RIC his own space inside. What I used as a barrier was some scrap lattice this way she could still see the ducks but couldn't get to them. Outside she was fine as long as the ducks wouldn't lay in front of her. :rolleyes:
At least this way he has company till you can find some females for him.
Missy has now adopted the ducks and hangs out with them.

Have you checked on your state forum?

I'm sorry for your loss. If you cannot find anything locally on craigslist, you can try contacting Holderreads in Corvallis. They were the #1 waterfowl farm in the US for decades. They retired last year, but I believe they may still have adults for sale or may know someone who has adults. Their number is (541) 929-5338. Good luck!

I'm sorry for your loss. If you cannot find anything locally on craigslist, you can try contacting Holderreads in Corvallis. They were the #1 waterfowl farm in the US for decades. They retired last year, but I believe they may still have adults for sale or may know someone who has adults. Their number is (541) 929-5338. Good luck!
Thank you so much! I will definitely reach out to them.

I am sorry for your loss. My female goose lost her mate of 10 yrs this past Feb. I was really worried about her when this happened. She and her mate had their own house so I immediately put her in the coop with the ducks and chickens. At first I had to put up a barrier since Sam died during mating season and Missy was a little ornery and some of my Runners would lay down for her for mating and of course she wanted no part of them and would chew on them My one Runner really got chewed on but she is alright. What I am getting at is if you have other poultry it would probably be a good idea to move Ric in with your other poultry so he won't be lonely. Even if you have to make RIC his own space inside. What I used as a barrier was some scrap lattice this way she could still see the ducks but couldn't get to them. Outside she was fine as long as the ducks wouldn't lay in front of her. :rolleyes:
At least this way he has company till you can find some females for him.
Missy has now adopted the ducks and hangs out with them.

Have you checked on your state forum?
Sadly he is now the only bird I have. :( I will definitely be active in trying to find him a couple of friends. Thank you for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom