Seeking Confirmation on Sexes (kinda long, quite a few pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DOnSoCalOC, Jun 13, 2011.

1. DOnSoCalOC

DOnSoCalOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi Y'all and thanks for the comments, and confirmation, on my Light Brahma. I am so new at this that I thought to post the rest of our little clan to get your thoughts and opinions.

Here is our "Katherine with a K", Partridge Rock, 7 weeks old. She? has a great disposition with us, BUT she is our aggressor and seriously chases and pecks the two new peeps, BJG & GLW. She is definitely the matriarch of the whole bunch at this time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is our "Maria" and I am pretty sure she is a she. 7 weeks old, Barred Rock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then "Ilaine" is our Americauna at 6 weeks old. I believe she is a she, no?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is "Missy" Golden Lace Wyandotte and "Penny" Black Jersey Giant, they are supposed to be 6 weeks and are the two replacements for our GLW & BJG that died. The GLW is passive and sweet, smallest of the bunch and gets seriously chased and pecked on by the PR, who is in solitary confinement at the present to allow the two new peeps time to grow and flourish with everyone else. The BJG goes into a "dance off" with the Light Brahma (which is definitely a cockerel), and by the looks I think is also a cockerel. Your thoughts on these two???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think on my sexes? Also, if the BJG is a cockerel we will be sending it and the LB back. What are your thoughts on obtaining replacements for them? What are your thoughts on keeping the PR in solitary confinement and for how long? I tried to put her back with everyone after 3 days and it didn't work. The run is 4'x8', the coop is 4'x4'. I have the coop separated for night time and let them all out into the run during the day. The PR I let out on the grass next to the run and watch her for awhile then place her inside the coop with the top partially opened and screened so that she has sunlight, then let her out again for awhile when I put the others away.

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated and I hope that one day I will be able to benefit others here on BYC. [​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Take my guess with a grain of salt, but I think "K"atherine is a boy, Ilaine is a boy, Missy I am unsure of, but I do think the BJG is a girl, and your BR is a girl...I think. The Easter Eggers tend to be more "flashy" when they are boys (colorful like yours...something about gold in the neck/shoulders indicates boy) and the leg thickness seems masculine to me...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Honestly, I see nothing here that screams roo yet. It's a little early to tell with your EE and most other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by