Seeking flock expansion advice -- thanks in advance!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovetoeateggs, Mar 24, 2012.

1. lovetoeateggs

lovetoeateggs New Egg

Mar 24, 2012
    I am considering adding some dual-purpose birds to my tiny "flock" of two muscovies, because we'd like to produce all our own eggs and it seems we'd need a TON of muscovies to do that. I am concerned that they get along with the muscovies and don't get hurt by being mated by my huge drake. We may just eat our muscovies and start over if needed! I am also interested in starting with ducks and a drake, but I want the drake to be unrelated. How do people manage this when starting a flock from shipped ducklings? The breeds I am leaning towards most are Ancona ducks and Welsh Harlequins. I'd like something that can raise its own replacements, make a decently big carcass, be friendly to my kids, stay close enough to home that they won't go in the road, and be a good forager that won't be too vulnerable to predation....

2. lovetoeateggs

lovetoeateggs New Egg

Mar 24, 2012
    Maybe we will start with adults from Holderread -- three ducks and a drake or something. Still concerned about how well they will get along with my muscovy duck and drake though -- so info about this would be very appreciated. I'd especially LOVE to hear from people who have had muscovies and anconas, or muscovies and welsh harlequins, at the same time. Thank you!

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have in one pen mostly muscovies but also welsh hareliquin and khaki campbell. They all get along fine. If you get younger ducks though you may need to keep them seperated until they are bigger. All ducks are vunerable to predators as well as they may roam.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  4. lovetoeateggs

lovetoeateggs New Egg

Mar 24, 2012
    Did you introduce them to each other as ducklings or as adults? Do you have drakes? My muscovy drake is pretty big and protective.

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Adults actually. I have new baby muscovies at the moment and they will stay seperate for at least a few months so the bigger ones don't attack them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by