Seeking info: EYP / Egg Peritonitis / Acities (not an emergency)

Nambroth

Fud Lady
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Western NY
My Coop
My Coop
Hi BYC folks! As some of you know, I'm a science and research nut. After one of my birds died from Marek's several years ago, I realized that information about the disease was scattered and hard to grasp all in one place, so I went on an unholy crusade to find and assemble all of the information available about Marek's, to make a guide with the intention of helping others understand the disease so that we are better equipped with how to deal with this common problem.

Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, and reproductive-specific cancers, relating to reproductive illness in laying hens, are another extremely common problem that people face, often after a few years of being attached to a hen (especially for those that keep chickens as pets). It's said that it's the most common cause of death in productive laying hens (I'm not sure if this is true, but I can believe that it's up there!). There are a few articles scattered over the internet about it, which I am starting to collect, and I hope over the duration of this year (it will be a long process as free time is often a luxury I don't have) to write a similar article about peritonitis and similar common reproductive illnesses. If any of you have favorite resources relating to these ailments (diagnosis, study of, treatment of, etc), beyond the easy to find google results, I welcome you to share them with me here as I gather information. Including any photos (before or after death, such as necropsy photos) or information you may have and are okay with sharing with me. Thank you!

Thank you for your hard work researching and compiling your findings!

My chickens are just run of the mill feed store purchased non show quality birds. They have not shown any symptoms of having any health problems.

I was considering purchasing a couple of show quality Bramas for my niece to use in 4H... Are show birds required to be tested, or will taking birds to shows make me run a risk of bringing disease back to the rest of my flock?

Back
Top Bottom