Seeking plans for External Roll Out Nest Box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunshinewish, Mar 1, 2017.

1. sunshinewish

sunshinewish Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Hi, I've been researching nest boxes and have concluded that external roll way boxes are for me. For the most part, roll out boxes here on BYC aren't for outside retrieval. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to recreate something complicated from pictures so I really need actual plans. I've done internet search but haven't had any luck.

2. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I see what you mean about having difficulty finding plans for external egg roll out boxes...most of the ones I saw you had to go inside the coop to collect the eggs.

You might have already seen this, but here's a link to one external one:
    http://www.bellhavenfarms.com/projects/nesting_boxeggcatcher.html

Not a lot of "plans" but lots of pictures on how they built it. One thing I didn't care for was that it appears the eggs would be exposed to the outside elements. You could easily fix that with a hinged cover over the part where the eggs end up.

Good luck!

3. sunshinewish

sunshinewish Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Thanks for wishing me luck. I think I'm going to need it. Hopefully, I find what I'm looking for.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Try Google books advanced search. Use keywords, roll out nest . Subject, poultry. Select full view.
    Best, karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by