Seeking some help guessing breeds of my baby chicks please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dorenachickenlady, Nov 20, 2008.

1. dorenachickenlady

dorenachickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Dorena, Oregon
    Here is my babies that are 11 days old. I got them from a friend and they can be a few breeds but the only ones I remember are barred rock, buff orpingtons and golden comets but I know there is at least one other breed too the parents could be. 2 look like penguins [​IMG] 1 is light orange but has spotted feathers on it's wings and is the biggest of the whole bunch, some are pure black, a couple are black but have a white spot on their heads and tips of their wings and then 2 white ones and a few buff colored ones, and 1 all black but has a red face and red tips on it's feathers and a couple yellows with a black spot on it's head. When will I be able to tell if I have roosters? Thanks so much!!
    [​IMG]
    Penguin one
    [​IMG]
    black with red face
    [​IMG]
    orange with spotted feathers
    [​IMG]
    whole bunch
    [​IMG]
    whole bunch
    [​IMG]
    whole bunch

2. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    wow!! they are soo cute. Is that where they are being kept right now? Looks like they may need more room. [​IMG]

3. dorenachickenlady

dorenachickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Dorena, Oregon
    No they are in a bigger brooder in the coop but I brought them in to take pics [​IMG] Thanks

4. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    Truly there has been times, and not just me, experienced fellows who didnt know it was a rooster until it crowed, or Hen until it laid an egg.. truly. they can sneak up on you.
    Most cannot make a definate determination until at least 10 weeks or so. But usually its just not that easy.
    I sold a batch of roosters last summer and the experienced man who came for them told me I had a hen in the pen instead of a roo, When weeks later it crowed, I had him back to get it.
    And even then, hens have been known to crow. But Ive never heard of a roo laying an egg. yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by