Seeking Suggestions!

bydhatch

Chirping
Jul 23, 2016
NC
Looking to "adopt" a few ducks! What breeds are best for first timers?! I am looking for friendly and rather quiet ducks over good egg-layers! Thanks!
Also, any ideas if Blue House Farms in NC is reputable?

Looking to "adopt" a few ducks! What breeds are best for first timers?! I am looking for friendly and rather quiet ducks over good egg-layers! Thanks!
Also, any ideas if Blue House Farms in NC is reputable?

Blue House Farms is here on BYC :) They have some really nice birds - I got WH eggs from them this year to bolster my flock and they were great. Speaking of Welsh Harlequins, they are a nice, calm breed that lays a lot of eggs and would be good to start with.

For really quiet ducks, you want muscovies. I've had them in the past and they seemed to be pretty friendly. They can fly though so you may need a covered pen or to clip their wings. I lost mine when they all flew out of their pen (which was covered but they found a way out) and got hit by a car, so that's something to consider if you go with them.

Welcome! And I'll start by suggesting Muscovy! They're so ugly they're cute. They are the quietest of all duck breeds, they're more closely related to swans than ducks, but we don't hold that against them. They lay great tasting eggs, they're as friendly as any domesticated bird. And last buy not least, they are 100% tops when it comes to pest control. Bugs, spiders, worms, frogs, small snakes, slugs; you name it, a 'Scovy will consume it. And did I mention quiet?? No quaking from a Muscovy. Good luck on your choice and eventual adoption!!

Blue House Farms is here on BYC :) They have some really nice birds - I got WH eggs from them this year to bolster my flock and they were great. Speaking of Welsh Harlequins, they are a nice, calm breed that lays a lot of eggs and would be good to start with.

For really quiet ducks, you want muscovies. I've had them in the past and they seemed to be pretty friendly. They can fly though so you may need a covered pen or to clip their wings. I lost mine when they all flew out of their pen (which was covered but they found a way out) and got hit by a car, so that's something to consider if you go with them.

Wow, thank you! Would you recommend Blue House Farms for WH? They seem to be a friendly, calm breed!

Welcome!  And I'll start by suggesting Muscovy!  They're so ugly they're cute.  They are the quietest of all duck breeds, they're more closely related to swans than ducks, but we don't hold that against them.  They lay great tasting eggs, they're as friendly as any domesticated bird.  And last buy not least, they are 100% tops when it comes to pest control.  Bugs, spiders, worms, frogs, small snakes, slugs; you name it, a 'Scovy will consume it.  And did I mention quiet??  No quaking from a Muscovy.  Good luck on your choice and eventual adoption!!

Thanks for your input! Just a little frightened by the perching ability in Muscovies!

I'd vote for Muscovies :) Very quiet, cute noises, expressive, I love the tail wagging and head bobbing they do. I have a girl who's so sweet and friendly, she follows us around the garden, coos and greets us. Wing clipping is much easier than it sounds too! There's guides online and all you need is a decently sharp pair of scissors. Much friendlier than my Cayugas and Ancona. And the friendly girl, she's the only duck we've had lay eggs yet, she's laid 45 with only 2 days break so far! :) We have two muscovies and the other one is less friendly, but when we got her she hadn't been handled very much since she was a duckling, and she definitely is warming up to us, haven't had her long yet.

Good luck choosing, I hope you love whatever breed you end up getting!

Maybe a runner. I have a runner and she's super sweet and friendly. some people say they're noising, but I haven't noticed mine being to loud. ( though that may be me loving the sound of quacking... ) Here's some pictures of her;

Back
Top Bottom