Seeking your advice on new coop & run project.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Red Barn Farms, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    In the very near future (month of Oct.) we're going to start building a new coop with attached run area. I've been looking over all the coop designs at BYC and still cannot come up with exactly how I want it to look. The coop / run will be attached to this 12' x 18' foot metal storage building. I do want to continue with the color pattern no matter what the choice. With the building already having the barn style roof wouldn't it make since to go with a 'lean-to' style coop and run? Whatever the outcome of this coop / run project it will be home to 6 French black copper Marans pullets and one Marans cockerel. There is a small creek which runs behind this building. So, any advice you can lend me will be greatly appreciated and taken into consideration in building this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SupaChickn

SupaChickn Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    Check out the pictures on my profile of my new coop im in the proccess of building. Maybe a hoop style run like i have on mine would be something you could do. it was inexpensive and gives them plenty of room to move around in. Any way you can incoorperate the creek into the design would be nice. Mine love the creek bed where I live at. Hope that helps.

3. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    I made a coop big enough for 30 frizzles out of old stacking pallets

4. Red Barn Farms

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Now that sounds like a less expensive way to go which I am always looking for! [​IMG] Hope you decide to post some images. I'd be interested in seeing what you designed. Due to the length of my building being 18 foot I think the coop and run combined will also be 18 feet in length and probably eight foot wide. By going this route later I I can build a twin of it on the left side of the building as well. If so then the left side would be home to my cochins, sizzles and frizzles.

5. Red Barn Farms

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hey now that looks like a great option I might be thinking about! Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

6. Frizzle13

Sep 16, 2012
    Haven't got envy photos as it is on my grandparents farm. But it is great I've made about 3 like this one is about 10 foot tall and 10 foot long and 5 foot wide. All I had to pay for we're the chickens.

7. SupaChickn

SupaChickn Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    Wooden pallets? Oh cool.... Thats a good idea. Our local sears here has a ton of them and theay are usually free. Looks like im gonna make a trip to sears tomorrow lol

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  8. Frizzle13

Sep 16, 2012
    Look on my album wet birds there's some photos of two of them on there

9. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the lean-to style would look the best with your barn. I know I have seen them before when looking at the coop pages. Keep looking through them. I'm sure you will get lots of ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by