1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seeking your Sage Steering

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Redwood City Guy, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Redwood City Guy

Redwood City Guy New Egg

Sep 29, 2009
    I'm an office worker who sits in a gray cublicle with no sunshine from 9-5 M-F. I moved to Northern California from Southern California three years ago, and now share a home in Redwood City with my partner and Winston, our Scottish Terrier. My mother's father had a ranch, and I have cousins in Pennsylvania who own farms. I remember visiting the farms as a child. I stepped out the car, held my nose, and said "pwe yoo." I ran into the hen house every time I heard cackling to find the newly-laid egg until I was told not to do that because it made the hens nervous. Then I was told to direct the cows into the barn at night by standing in front of the cows with my arms outstretched as they ran towards me. Yeah, right. I think I inherited my green thumb from my grandfather, and have good luck with fruit trees, veggies, and just about any kind of plant. It is yet to be determined if I also have the rancher's gene. I have yet to decide if I really want chickens, but I hope my pestering questions to be asked in this forum will help me decide. If I DO get chickens, they will be happily pampered and afforded more space than I'm allowed in my cubicle.

2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

There are many people here to help when you ask.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Welcome from Indiana! [​IMG] I doubt you would ever regret a choice to take on chickens. I look forward to getting home each day to spend time getting to know them. They are entertaining to watch, soothing to listen to, and some are quite snuggly. But you are very wise to explore before jumping in...

4. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] from Indiana! Just take the plunge, you'll love it!

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI. Nice to have you....research and become convinced you can no longer live without chickens.......[​IMG] Folks on the site are all informative but have a very contagious disease....'Chickenitis". It is a very virulent bug, even spreads over the internet.....handwashing, masks, HazMat suits are all useless.....[​IMG]

6. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    Are you asking us if you should get chickens? You'll never get a no here.

Welcome to BYC. We are glad you're here.

[​IMG]

7. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Oh believe me...your in trouble now. You see the more you research the more you'll get to wanting chickens [​IMG]. Then you'll go from wanting to I've just gotta have some chickens [​IMG]. Then the next thing you know you'll be furiously searching for a place to get some chickens [​IMG]. Then you'll know your one of us...you've become a crazy chicken man [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    [​IMG] from Michigan. By the way there is no better therapy then sitting in your yard with a favorite beverage watching your chickens at the end of the day. Best way ever to unwind.

9. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

~*~*~WeLcOmE to BYC~*~*~ from SWVA!

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by