1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

seem not to be eating feed???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nipper75, Jun 19, 2011.

1. nipper75

nipper75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    Hi.. I have 6 pullets about 2 1/2 months old. It seems to me that they are not eating their starter feed. I filled it last week and haven't had to fill it again yet. They seem to be happy and healthy. They are in their enclosed coop but not in a run yet b/c my husband is making finishing touches on it. So, I can't blame free ranging on my observation.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How big is your feeder? I have about 30 birds in my coop now (only 9 adults) and it takes them a while to get to the bottom of my 30 lb feeder [​IMG]

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    We have 6 pullets too and I have noticed this too. We feed organic pellets from Green Mountain. The other day I went to a very good feed store in our area and asked about what I should be feeding them. He suggested Nature's Best organic grower crumbles, and I bought a bag. I took it home and they ate it like they had never been fed. I don't know if the feed was fresher, as my Green Mountain had an expiration of June 2011, so I can't say for sure it is the feed or they did not like the pellets. They never really went at the Green Mountain with any gust, but they had been eating even less lately. They would jump all over greens thrown in the run, and now they are not as crazy when the greens go in. They are also much quieter.

I am still experimenting with feeds and I am considering keeping them on the Nature's Best for now. It comes from PA, and I believe you are in PA, so it should be found all around the state f you want to try it. I really think the crumbles are better than the pellets anyway and will continue to get crumbles whichever feed I finally decide on.

4. nipper75

nipper75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    I have a large feeder. I think 30 lbs. I started them on Purina Medicated Starter Feed since they were born. I just finished that bag but the TSC didn't have non-medicated Purina so I bought DuMor. I was thinking maybe this was the problem. Still not sure though. I'm going to go to the TSC store again to see what they have this week. I'll keep an eye out for Nature's Best.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Another thing is the heat; mine are definitely eating less in our heat. If you are seeing yours pant and hold their wings a little away from their body, they could be feeling it, too.

6. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Yes, the heat could be a reason also. We did notice they ate less when it went into the 90s.

Sooner or later you will figure it out. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by