Seemingly Healthy Chicks/Chickens Dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CityCowgirlFL, Nov 3, 2015.

1. CityCowgirlFL

CityCowgirlFL New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    Hello All,
    I live in North Central Florida. Recently my friend's son was watching my chickens last week when Thursday he found 4 of my half-grown bantam Cochins dead. On Sunday we had one more. The birds have good weight and are lively one day, dead the next.

While talking to him last night, he mentioned that his mom had lost a bunch of chicks after switching to Purina feed. That caught my attention because I had just purchased Purina before leaving on my trip.

I am in the process of finding the lot numbers, and pulling feed samples for Purina and for the store where I bought it.

Has anyone else had Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome? Have you switched feed recently?

Thanks

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So sorry for your losses, and Welcome! Talk to Purina, but it's unlikely that that's the problem. Your dead birds need to be posted at the state vet lab for a diagnosis; chill in plastic in the frig, and call the lab today. It would be best to get answers here ASAP. Purina may help with this, depending. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by