Seems It Never Rains In Southern California - well, almost never

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Linda in San Diego, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    We had one of our "storms" this week so it was the first rain for the Delightful Dozen. They did not seem to mind at all. In fact, they prospered! LOL. We got some rain showers, heaviest at night while the DDoz were in the coop. But they were not bothered at all by the showers during the day.
    Today my oldest DS went out and hunted for and with the DDoz. He found so many grubs close to the surface that the DDoz actually just started to look at them instead of eat!!!! That is a lot of grubs! When he turned something over with slugs - they just wandered away!!!
    Now, if we provide insects for the DDoz, can I still say "Vegetarian Fed"?
    [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The first time it rained up here about a month ago, the chickens al stood under the awning yacking amongst themselves. Yesterday when it poured, the decided there must be something to this and ran out and played in it. Seriously, their dust bathing hole was full of water and they were jumping in and out of it, Flying up and chest bumping, running all over the place having the time of their lives.

3. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    LOL!
    I know the DDoz stood under their coop during one heavy shower yesterday, but otherwise they were out and about! LOL - I gave them hot/warm oatmeal yesterday, and they were not really interested.

Seems it never rains in southern California
    Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
    It never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya
    It pours, man it pours.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  4. debilorrah

GREAT SONG!!! And the truth, really. It never sprinkles here, it just floods. I know it has to be the same down there. The Mojave River is a dry river that flows underground, until it rains. HAHAHA!

5. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    You guys almost made me homesick... I lived in Fontana for 17 years before moving here to Oklahoma... I am beginning to think I take drought with me wherever I go. Now it doesn't rain here, either. I sing the same song, changing California to Oklahoma.

6. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Homesick? For a place where there are more warm days than cold? Where jeans and a jacket will do for most occasions? Where we "visit" the snow? LOL - Why in the world would you be homesick?

Of course as a 2nd gen San Diegan - I have to say that I don't have any real experience. My "visits" to the cold allowed me to return to my homebase where cold means put on another layer, not turn on a furnace! LOL

7. debilorrah

Quote:You do know that is now called Fontucky, right...... [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

Quote:Yeah well, we have to turn on the heat now and then, it gets darnright cold here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by