Seems like a temperature shock, not a foot/leg issue

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckluck, Dec 10, 2009.

1. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Had something interesting happen today...I was one of those folks who had a limping duck the other day, when we were all talking lame ducks...

Today I went to let the ducks out of the barn very briefly while I forked out the stall and changed the water that was frozen, and got quite a shocker...the ducks all stepped out of the barn and just went "ploomp"...they all collapsed! One made it as far as the tiny pool which had warm water in it, but when he got out he did the same!

I managed to get them all back into the barn, one duck seemed to have one leg locked up in his feathers while he staggered along with the other foot...once back in the barn, everyone was fine (where we have a warmer floor than the 5 degree temp outside in the snow.) This isn't a heated barn, but it is warmer inside because it is out of the wind.

They're all fine now...anyone else experience this seeming "shock mechanism" they seem to have in the cold? I knew they tucked their legs up to stay warm but I never thought I'd see the group drop like a bunch of dominoes! [​IMG] So I am thinking my "lame" duck the other day was just a first-responder, because he has not had a problem since then.

Incidentally, all four horses came into the barn completely snow-blind too. Never had it happen before where my alpha filly couldn't find her stall. This has been a day full of surprises!

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, Scared me for a minute. I was hesitent about letting my Scovies out of their duck houses today w/temps in the low teens and a bitter wind chill of -10 & I did wait awhile longer than usual but knew their water bowls had probably frozen up during the night. They made a mad dash for the car port (closed in on three sides) but every time they venture out it's .... plop! down they go! Even when they were trying to eat their peas. One girl went down and layed a bit sideways. I was ready to scoop her up but she got up and kinda staggared back into the carport. YEASH!!! The older 1yr olds don't seem quite as phased. Maybe they remember last winter or are a bit toughened up. [​IMG] I'm glad the wind is supposed to die down tomorrow and the temp go up to 29. That will feel down right BALMY after yesterday & today.

3. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    My muscovy hens don't really like the cold too much, and prefer to spend their nights inside the enclosed 8' X 16' coop, where as the pekins and mallards hang out in the attached 8' X 16' three sided lean-to. However, when the sun shines they all like to take advantage of the southern exposure that the lean-to provides.

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Well, this is good to know! I can't say I am glad, but I am relieved other people are having problems too...that way I know I haven't messed up my ducks somehow!

5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

...that way I know I haven't messed up my ducks somehow!

[​IMG] I Know the feeling!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by