1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seems to be clusters of tiny bubbles near chick in 27 day old egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jo1313, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Jo1313

Jo1313 New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    There seems to be clusters of tiny air bubbles inside the egg of my incubating chicks. They're only visable when candling but i cant figure out what they could be - the chick has not yet broken into his air cell and i have seen no movement in the past 3 days, the bubbles are not near the air cell but around the chick its self.

Has anyone else experienced this and had a healthy hatch? Or can anyone explain what this is?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Are the chicks still alive? Is there movement? If not, I would be concerned of fetal demise. If the chick has died in the shell, gases are released as part of the decomposition process. Other than that I have no idea.

3. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    are these chicken eggs or some other type of poultry? chicken eggs take 21 days to hatch!

4. Jo1313

Jo1313 New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    Chickie'sMoma :

are these chicken eggs or some other type of poultry? chicken eggs take 21 days to hatch!

These are duck eggs​

5. Jo1313

Jo1313 New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    Quote:I have not seen movement in 2 days, although the chick seems to have developed slightly more than the last time i candled it, which leads me to think theres a chance its still alive. Im far too frightened to risk opening the egg just incase.

6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    thanks for getting back to me about what type of eggs. i was thinking chicken at first and thought they should be already hatched! [​IMG] if duck eggs take longer i would wait a few days after they are supposed to hatch just in case they are a little behind on development. i've had chicken eggs hatch under a broody one a day at a time over a 4-5 day period.

7. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    I took an egg candling class recently to get my license to sell eggs and learned that bubbles indicate that the air cell is ruptured and air bubbles form beneath the main air cell. These eggs are considered a loss (can't be sold). I would imagine in incubating an egg with a ruptured air cell, bubbles could form around the chick. I don't know if that affects the chick's viability, but at 27 days I would consider it a loss. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I don't know if that affects the chick's viability, but at 27 days I would consider it a loss.

THis would apply to a chicken with a 21 day incubation; 27 days for a duck though, IMO, is wait and see. Good candling!​

9. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    I guess one should read all the posts. [​IMG]

10. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Duck is 28 days....I believe so give it a day or two

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by